Official diagnosis = scary

Started by Slow River, May 12, 2017, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slow River

I just today had it confirmed by my therapist that I do have C-PTSD.  This is not a surprise, but it is official now.  I think I'm happy that my ideas have been validated, but I find that I'm also pretty upset.  My hands are shaking, and my heart is pounding.  None of this is made better by the fact that my husband does not believe that PTSD is what I have.  (He has no idea, no expertise, no information.)

There are two areas on one the tests that I took that were phenomenally high.  Not off the chart, but way up there.  That was concerning.

My therapist, who I really like, and who specializes in C-PTSD and EMDR, is thinking that perhaps he doesn't have specialized enough skills to help me.  Perhaps, he thinks, I need somebody even more specialized.  I find that scary.  It's like the opposite of him saying "Don't worry, I see this all the time.  It's easy to fix."

Blueberry

mourningdove

Quote from: Slow River on May 12, 2017, 10:29:06 PM
My therapist, who I really like, and who specializes in C-PTSD and EMDR, is thinking that perhaps he doesn't have specialized enough skills to help me.  Perhaps, he thinks, I need somebody even more specialized.  I find that scary.  It's like the opposite of him saying "Don't worry, I see this all the time.  It's easy to fix."

I would probably be scared by that, too. But it's good that he knows his own limitations. There are some therapists out there who don't, and they can end up harming people. It's odd, though, that he would confirm a diagnosis of C-PTSD and then tell you that you need to see someone else, when he is specializes in C-PTSD.  :stars: Do you know the names of the tests you took?

Dee

I'm really glad that he knows his limitations and sounds like he will help you find what you need!!  There should be more therapist like that.

I never took any tests yet I have been diagnoses with CPTSD several times.  I do know the PTSD test does not fit me because I can't compare a before and after.