tactics, tiredness, meds and booze

Started by JamesG, May 16, 2017, 08:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesG

Curious to know how everyone approaches tiredness management, alcohol, anti-depressants etc. I know this is broad but just in objective terms, I find that fatigue brings it all to the surface. Sleep in the daytime causes near certain anxiety attacks and I found anti-deppressants made life harder. Is anyone imposing a regime on themselves with any noticable results? I'm planning to start a strict no alcohol, early bed thing for a bit to see if I can mitigate some of the effects. I know this is all about how we feel emotionally but I am very eager to deploy any practical systems I can to flatten this thing. I'm just not gonna take this lying down. It's enough to have other people damage your life in the first place and another to let that result in a permanent effect. Has to be fought.

Three Roses

Of all the things I do for self-care, sleep is the most important to me. I get at least 8 hours of sleep, usually a bit more. I do not have a television in my bedroom, I do no work there, I make sure the atmosphere of my room and especially the area around the bed is peaceful and calm. If an argument or difficult discussion begins there, we move. There is light, tranquil music like Liquid Mind that plays, lighting is always kept low, no overhead lights on at night (lamps or candles only). I think of my bedroom as my sanctuary, and sleep is my rejuvenator.

I am currently not really drinking alcohol, only because no one here does and I don't want to engage in activities that trigger anyone. Cannabis is legal where I live, and I use it in the evening to combat anxiety and help me to sleep. I am currently taking an antidepressant and recently increased the dosage.

Before I started using cannabis (a high CBD/low THC strain), I used melatonin to help me sleep. But it can give you vivid and realistic dreams, so if your dreams are bothersome I wouldn't advise it. I think sleep deprivation is a huge, underrated problem and I hope this gives you some ideas!

Lingurine

I agree, trying to do what you can to manage the symptoms of PTSD. For me, anti depressants helped a lot. I don't mind taking them. It helped me enormous and I'm a strong believer that it can help increase the low serotonin and noradrenaline levels in the brain. It's easy to fix so why suffer is my idea   :Idunno:

Lingurine

IntheDark

This is my first time in here & I will give just a quick run down. I am 40 yrs old. I endured intense sexual, physical, emotional, etc abuse as a child. When I was 20 yrs old-My brother committed suicide.  So I've been through it...alot of "it" which I could never understand or put a name to I realized today was C-PTSD. I literally broke down in tears reading it because it feels like I have been in darkness-alone and no one could hear me-but I finally felt safe. 
I have self with a multitude of things through out my life that seems to have a cycle. I will go through periods of hardly any sleep..for days because I can't seem to shut my mind off. I try everything & nothing works. I've learned its just something I have to get through.
I will also become compulsive.  With everything...i won't allow myself any peace it seems. I will clean-straighten pictures-This I also have to just deal with or let it run its course.
Now-coming to alcohol.. I will-like clock work go on a binge drinking 'episode' for 4 or 5 days..obviously I feel intense guilt & pain when I do this.
I have been searching my whole life for an answer...to figure out how to 'fix myself' or break these hellish cycles. I've been to dr's...they put me on antidepressants & xanax-which of course I abuse when I have 'episodes'.  I have gone to counseling, I have seen a pyschiatrist, I have genuinely tried to understand what's happening to me. Now I feel like I know & I am not alone anymore.

JamesG

Hey inthedark, heart goes out to you. Life has been unkind but now, with the truth about what you are facing, you can turn around and fight. I strongly suggest you check out the Spartan Life coach on youtube. He's in a class of his own and can help give you that fire in your belly like no one else can. Zanex is a tough drug, there are alternatives, I 've just gone on escitalopram and it's very good at levelling out the peaks and troughs. Be kind to yourself. This is not your fault. It is not your fault that you are reacting in ways that scare you, yours is a natural response and you must feel free to take the pressure off yourself a bit there. Don't beat yourself up on top of all the other abuse, it's time to respect yourself and give yourself the room to adjust slowly and carefully. Take your time. Every step, no matter how small, is a victory against your past. You have a future, we all do, it's there. Trust me.

IntheDark

JamesG-
Hi there. Thank you for the encouragement. I didn't try to steal your post and make it about me. But I was so relieved to see that this monster has a name & it's a real thing. For 40 years I have felt like I was alone. After so many times of trying to have hope to get better- I always remained hopeless & disappointed. I felt like the Dr.s don't understand me & that makes me feel like maybe I am the most messed up thing they've ever seen if they can't even help. I am so happy to have someone else who understands. I don't even have words. I will try to be kinder to myself-I have always been very hard and lived recklessly because I couldn't stand myself & really didn't care what happened at times. I will check out your advice for sure. Thank you so much. Have you been on this blog long?

JamesG

Not long. I didn't really understand what I'd been dealing with until about 6 months back.
Be good to yourself about the perception of others, I find that on the occasions that I forget it all, and there are some, my two perceptions of an event can be light years apart. You can only judge yourself by yourself so don't trust it too much. Keep telling youself that the brain has been trained to talk you down, it's not reality. Reality is that you are a good guy who has weatherd too much and is seeking better times ahead. That will be the start of the road there. Keep on keeping on.

Sissysunshine

One of the things I do too keep from feeling tired and for 4 months now no medication except Hydroxzine, Benadryl with out the cold medication.  I use to take so many different medications; happy to discuss any of them if requested.... My biggest help day to day is having a schedule and trying to stick to it.  For example; always out of bed by 9 and showered and dressed, Make a smoothie, start coffee, take my Service Dog out for a walk.  This is my first hour every morning.  I then put Goals; example 1x weekly meet up with my children to visit, 1x weekly go hiking, Kayaking or golfing, 3x weekly work on the farm in the garden, 1x weekly allow my self a me day which can be anything from doing something that makes me feel good to laying in bed and relaxing for the day, giving myself a break from everything.  So Schedule helps me.  At least in morning.  Nights are different, as I don't sleep well.  I have found that my symptoms are worse when I don't have a basic goal and schedule.  I keep white boards all over my home, one is a calendar as I have many issues with memory due to TBI and Sertonem syndrome. Second is quotes to keep me motivated, third one has weekly, monthly, daily goals or activities. Fourth is schedules for medical therapy, group therapy and events at VET Center for veterans.  Fifth is wants.... This is how I keep myself in check.  One thing I have learned is my brain is behaving as it should, I am human and Fight, Flight and freeze are normal and my body will always have these reactions due to my traumas.  Its what I do in those moments to cope that matter.  I have really great days, and really bad days.  I try to except that this is my life cycle and I am not broken I am a survivor and no longer a victim.  This is where my quotes become handy, as they remind me of the good, the possible, the hope.  Doesn't mean it works, but it helps refocus my brain.  I also have started meditation and yoga as a source to calm my thoughts.  This is not to say I still don't have very terrible controlling habits stemming from my C-PTSD.  I most likely will always be there, Its my coping skills and schedules that will get me through my day.  And at the end of each day good or bad, I remind myself how lucky I am to be alive, forget, forgive, or cherish what happened in my day.  Then remind myself that I can let all that go and wake in the morning and have a new start.  Every day I am alive is a new start.