Suddenly getting nightmares again (help or advice please?)

Started by songbirdrosa, May 18, 2017, 08:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

songbirdrosa

Usually nightmares aren't one of my major symptoms - I'll have one every couple of months or so maybe - but for the past ten days I've had one every night. I can't think of anything that's triggered it, and I'm not particularly stressed right now, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've tried my normal strategies like doing mindfulness before bed, sleeping with music on, and even cuddling a teddy, but nothing is helping. Has anyone had this happen to them, and what did you end up doing about it?

I should probably mention that I take anti-anxiety medication to help me sleep as well, but I've been on that for a few months now so I don't think it's related. I am also seeing my psychologist next week, so I guess what I need is something that can help until I talk to her.

Three Roses

Yes, this will happen sometimes to me too. It seems to happen when a new layer is ready to emerge, a new realization or something. Best of luck to you. Would say more but head hurts.

sanmagic7

i, too, think that this sometimes happens when our brains/minds are processing something and are getting us ready at a subconscious level to deal with it at a conscious level. 

this happened to me when i began getting very sick, breaking down.  it lasted for about a year (not every night, but often enough that i took note - i hadn't really been a nightmare person before).  when i finally began understanding that it was anger at my daughter that was beginning to surface, anger that i'd denied and shoved down for years and years, and started dealing with it that the nightmares stopped.  nowadays, while i often dream, rarely do i have nightmares.

i don't know if that's the same dynamic for you, but if so, it will straighten itself out eventually.  i hope they end soon.   nightmares suck!  best to you with this, songbirdrosa.      :hug:

ElizabethGenevieve

I get nightmares all the time, sometimes every night for weeks straight. Wish I could share something that helps but the only thing that seems to help me is when I talk about my struggles and receive support from a good friend of mine. Sometimes I sleep better those nights. But other than that I want to reassure you that you aren't alone and I hope your psychologist can help <3  :hug: