Is anyone familiar with the enneagram (of personality)?

Started by Entropic, March 01, 2017, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropic

In short, it's a personality theory/typology and draws inspiration from psychology. It views personality holistically with a focus on childhood traumas/events and how we develop an ego-dystonic way of viewing the world in order to cope. Even though it's not therapy I found it very useful in being able to help me introspect and be more honest with myself and to aid in my self-development and dealing with my problems.

For people interested in reading up on it, I'd recommend using this homepage: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

The wikipedia article is messy and confusing and I find that others aren't delving into things in a way that makes it easy to understand. What do you think?

Wife#2

Because of your post, I'm looking into this. Very interesting! I've also found a few websites that will allow a free test. As I don't really want to give this group my credit card yet, I'll use the free tests for now. But, the theory is very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this link!

Entropic

Quote from: Wife#2 on March 01, 2017, 07:10:37 PM
Because of your post, I'm looking into this. Very interesting! I've also found a few websites that will allow a free test. As I don't really want to give this group my credit card yet, I'll use the free tests for now. But, the theory is very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this link!

I've been studying it for quite a while so if you are looking for resources I'll be glad to share them. I have a couple of books lying around including some favorites. It helped to put some of my feelings into perspective. It is a very interesting theory, I think. It takes a psychospiritual approach to personal development and healing and some authors are more or less spiritual in how they approach it. Anyway, I thought people here may be interested in it since I see some overlaps in its approaches with regards to what I've read thus far about CPTSD. Like I wrote, it's not actual therapy but some of the insights it provides can definitely still be therapeutic. For myself personally, it really helped to put into perspective why I am always such an angry person inside (even if I am not showing it), why I have a blame-mentality etc. And that I am also not necessarily bound to this attitude or behavior. It also really validates how I felt during my childhood. So it's been very helpful in helping me look beyond some of my problems and work on myself even if it doesn't address the core issues of trauma that only a therapist could.

TinyRhino