How to handle a new relationship?

Started by lambchxpp, May 24, 2017, 07:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lambchxpp

I'm starting to have my first genuine romantic interest in someone since my split with my abusive partner and since developing C-PTSD. It isn't anything serious at all yet and we're kinda in the flirting stages but I seem to find myself pulling back a lot and getting extremely anxious about very small things such as complimenting him, I seem to revert back to the place I was while being abused and assume he'll get angry at me or respond negatively. I want to openly talk and explain that this is a symptom of abuse and nothing to do with him but I don't want to scare him off. And I'm not sure if this is too soon to talk about this kind of thing, he does know about my abuse since I met him through a very close friend who knew my abuser and she filled him in briefly in the context of warning him not to speak to my previous partner. Any advice? Or opinions about the best time to discuss trauma with a potential partner?

Dee

I'm not sure how long you have been together.  If for awhile I would consider just printing a little material about symptoms so he can better understand.  It is important to start a relationship open and honest.