The Potting Shed (Part 1)

Started by SunBear, May 24, 2017, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

Spring is in the air! 💕🌷🦋

Anjulie

I've seen crocuses in my garden :cheer:

Blueberry

Does March come in like a lion and go out like a lamb? Or is that April? I can't remember. Anyway there's been an awful lot of 'lion' here the past few days. But now it's all :sunny: though with a cold wind. Both the rain of the past few days and  :sunny: are good for the garden :)

Blueberry

:cheer: Dandelions and ground elder are up in the garden and I've just picked some! First harvest of the year :cheer: All of a sudden I'm feeling there's a reason to get out of bed.

Bach

My backyard is in chaos this summer because of a just-completed garage remodel, but I did manage to get some veggies planted in the spring.  I've been overwhelmed by various other things going on in my life for the past several weeks, during which time we've had a lot of rain alternating with a lot of heat and sun, so weeds, bolting radishes, and millions of volunteer tomatoes are overtaking the beets, carrots and greens I've planted.  That situation is only going to get worse because my partner and I are leaving for a 5-day cruise on Saturday.  But meanwhile, the raspberries and blueberries are starting to fatten and ripen, I picked the first container-grown jalapeno yesterday, the broccoli is holding its own against the purslane, and the bee- and butterfly-friendly flowers all around the house and in the minimeadow up on the hill are bursting into glorious bloom.  Even on my most down day, going outside to say Hi to all my plant buddies and pollinator guests is good for a moment of joy and a sense of wonder.

Not Alone

Bach, your garden sounds wonderful. Have fun on your cruise.

Tee

Sounds nice have a safe trip!

Blueberry

Your garden sounds lovely! I like to go out into our garden too and see what's growing and who's all flying around pollinating.  :)

Blueberry

It snowed today and it's still lying white in the garden with bits of green sticking through. I wasn't prepared for it, but most of my plants are winter-hardy.

Tomorrow I'll be carting a bunch of branches away to the municipal garden refuse place before it closes for the winter. Then maybe I'll have time and/or energy to move piles of leaves around my roses and currant bushes to warm their bases a little for the winter.

Last weekend I collected a bit of harvest from somebody else's garden and finally cooked some of it up tonight: Jerusalem artichockes, aka sunchokes. I also planted a few in my garden in the hope that they will grow again. Each stem bears one flower, which looks like a sunflower but smaller and less resplendent. Still not a bad thing to have blooming in the garden. Will see next year whether it works.

Three Roses

Boatsetsailrose

I just discovered some bulbs I planted are popping... I forgot I planted them
#love nature and flowers

Blueberry

The snowdrop shoots are poking up through the soil. I suppose they'll flower soon.

A huge old tree came down in the storm last week and its neighbour looks none too steady. So it's likely to be axed too. That will make a huge difference to the garden, not necessarily positive at all. There will be far fewer birds and bees. And we already have lost quite a lot of screen/visual protection from other people looking into the garden. The trees gave us some privacy. Oh well, storms are storms and I knew those trees would have to come down sometime.

sanmagic7

yay for spring, new life, and new beginnings! :cheer:

i've seen crocus, daffodils, and camellias blooming in the past couple weeks.  plus a gorgeous flowering plum tree.  it really is refreshing and uplifting!

Blueberry

Wow, san, what lovely flowers! They're probably over though now.
It's too early for any of that here. After the storms there was snow, which has only just melted, revealing the snowdrops again. I saw a little lawn daisy too.

The 'neighbour' tree I mentioned in the post above was felled a few days ago, along with some others for 'good' measure. I was sad for the bird and insect life. But today I saw a robin redbreast flitting around the garden and I have never seen one of those before here! One of the blue tits was back too, rummaging around in a pile of branches which are waiting to be removed.

Rainydaze

Aww, I love robins and blue tits, I think they might be my favourite little birds. Robins because they're cheeky and have so much character and blue tits because they're just so beautiful. One of my favourite memories in the garden is when I was digging and a little robin kept coming along and sitting on the fork handle, singing and keeping an eye out for worms. So sweet.  ;D

I love this time of year, I think the anticipation of spring and the tiny little signs that start appearing is just as good as when it all arrives.