super long posts

Started by Dee, May 24, 2017, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

All,

I respectfully request that if you have a long post see if you can break it up into two or three subjects (even part 1,2, and 3).  Also, please use paragraphs.  I really want to read every post and support everyone here.  I have a hard time concentrating and I find it difficult, if not impossible, to get through long posts.  I believe if you can break it up you will get more feedback.

Thank you,
Dee

Blueberry

Good one, Dee. Unfortunately I'm one of these people who posts a bit too long sometimes.  :whistling:  That's partly connected to my problems. Doesn't mean I can't work on it though.

As a similar request, I'd especially appreciate it if posts in Welcome Mat were not super long. At the moment I generally don't read them, and that's a shame for me, but also for the new people posting. One less person to get to know the new people, welcome them, provide feedback and validation etc. I find long posts in Welcome Mat particularly difficult because other than it being an introduction to the person with or without trigger warning, I don't know what to expect. It's hard for me to read so much about somebody I don't know yet from the forum.
Thank you,
Blueberry

Lingurine

Good point Dee, posts a bit shorter, easier to read, I'm a poster who could use more words maybe, now I'm a counterpart. I'm just not a very good  :blahblahblah: person.

Lingurine

Wife#2

Like Blueberry, I'm certainly a wordy girl. I have learned, though, that long posts can be tolerated as long as there are paragraph breaks. Walls of words are just too hard for me to read as well.

Even those who've already posted their word walls, maybe go back (since you can edit your own posts for a while) and add some paragraph spacing?

I completely understand the drive to type it all before one loses their nerve. It even makes sense! Still, shorter posts and/or paragraph breaks would be a huge help.

Thank you for making this thread, Dee!

sanmagic7

thanks, dee.  good poiont.  (keeping it short!  lol!)

woodsgnome

In my case, I'm often convinced that no one wants to know or read anything I have to say anyway. So sometimes what happens is a need to explain thoroughly what I'm trying to say. That very need is an insidious effect of cptsd--if one felt unheard before, that compulsion to explain more fully and/or just vent easily becomes habitual. Spilling one's guts--in person or in print--doesn't fit easily into artificial word limits.

I came out of my abusive youth convinced no one ever understood or even wanted to hear anything I had to contribute. I felt like I didn't even deserve to exist, let alone that I'd be listened to. Nowadays some of my thoughts are off-the-wall, out-of-the-box alternative views to the mainstream. We're all unique and not cut out of the same cloth.

That said, I think one place where wordiness can play a role is in the 'recovery journals', which are designed to be more reflective than much of the back-forth forum discussions.

Dee

Woodsgnome,

I care a lot about your contributions.  I want to listen to you and think you are important. 

I actually do try to explain things in person.  I was told not to recently; I owe no explanation.  I'm trying to remember that.

Dee

Blueberry

Quote from: woodsgnome on May 25, 2017, 11:09:25 PM
In my case, I'm often convinced that no one wants to know or read anything I have to say anyway. So sometimes what happens is a need to explain thoroughly what I'm trying to say. That very need is an insidious effect of cptsd--if one felt unheard before, that compulsion to explain more fully and/or just vent easily becomes habitual. ...

That said, I think one place where wordiness can play a role is in the 'recovery journals', which are designed to be more reflective than much of the back-forth forum discussions.

Woodsgnome, I too tend to a compulsion to explain very thoroughly so nobody can be in any doubt as to what I mean. And yes, this has to do with the atmosphere I grew up in. Yes, indeed, the insidious nature of CPTSD. Of FOO's refusal to understand me.

I do agree with you that Recovery Journals is a place where we can maybe be a bit wordier, though I think that even there paragraphs are a good idea, as Dee suggests. You do put in paragraphs though as far as I know.

mourningdove

Quote from: woodsgnome on May 25, 2017, 11:09:25 PM
So sometimes what happens is a need to explain thoroughly what I'm trying to say. That very need is an insidious effect of cptsd--if one felt unheard before, that compulsion to explain more fully and/or just vent easily becomes habitual. Spilling one's guts--in person or in print--doesn't fit easily into artificial word limits.

I actually experience this a lot in IRL interactions. And I care what you have to say, woodsgnome!  :yes:

While i'm here, I also want to back up Dee about the need for paragraph breaks. I am not able to read huge blocks of text even if I want to. The site guidelines already ask that people use frequent paragraph breaks, but people don't always know.

SunnyDays

Quote from: Dee on May 24, 2017, 12:51:58 PM

All,

I respectfully request that if you have a long post see if you can break it up into two or three subjects (even part 1,2, and 3).  Also, please use paragraphs.  I really want to read every post and support everyone here.  I have a hard time concentrating and I find it difficult, if not impossible, to get through long posts.  I believe if you can break it up you will get more feedback.

Thank you,
Dee

I was afraid of that too, even for myself.
Since we all need to express, but at the same time a balance is needed I guess.

While this should not be a hard rule written in stone I propose (and I will try to follow it from now on since I want to reach out fellows, and read other stories): To keep a 5 lines (arbitrary number) summary, and a lengthy text as a seconds part. A simple scheme, not mandatory.

What do you think admins and members?

Sunny

Kizzie

We already have a reasonable guideline in place Sunny:

Please keep your posts short. Although there are times when a post may need to be longer, members are encouraged to keep posts to 2 - 3 paragraphs as a rule of thumb.  If your posts tend to fill more than an entire computer screen, some readers may be tempted to "speed read" or skip to the end. Further, long posts tends to flood the board if made regularly so that the member begins to dominate the board and quieter members may not feel they have a chance to weigh in.

SunnyDays

Thank you Kizzie, I'm just trying to collaborate somehow because the Forum is great. Sometimes even when I try it's hard for me to visit before because of triggering effects.

Sorry if this is a double post or something like that, or if my English is not good enough.

Thanks for your patience to you and all the members I try to do my best.

Contessa

I'm guilty sorry, and agree with the policy.

Similar to Woodsgnome. Sometimes it flows out and becomes a bigger post than intended.

Usually reading/writing these on my phone and don't realise how long it gets. Should be a journal I realise.

Kizzie

Guilty too lol. For sure we all do get a bit wordy from time to time and that's not a bad thing considering most of us kept silent for far too long.  When most every post fills the screen is when it gets a bit problematic because they can be hard to get through and discourage members from reading and responding. 

There is a lot we need to talk about because of what we've been through though so two suggestions are to break up longer posts into 2 or 3 smaller posts,  and/or start a journal and write out what you want to there (because length isn't an issue in journals).

SunnyDays

Quote from: Kizzie on September 09, 2018, 06:21:49 PM
Guilty too lol. For sure we all do get a bit wordy from time to time and that's not a bad thing considering most of us kept silent for far too long.  When most every post fills the screen is when it gets a bit problematic because they can be hard to get through and discourage members from reading and responding. 

There is a lot we need to talk about because of what we've been through though so two suggestions are to break up longer posts into 2 or 3 smaller posts,  and/or start a journal and write out what you want to there (because length isn't an issue in journals).

Thank you Kizzie,

I was writing that out of the blue, even when I've read the guidelines, I don't know why. I was traveling and I think I was on the phone and just wanted to write something useful. Please ignore and disregard.
Sorry, I'm a newcomer... :)

Sunny