Art Therapy: Self-acceptance collage

Started by alovelycreature, December 15, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alovelycreature

Rain and I were discussing starting a collage to see the positive things about ourselves. We thought it might be fun to see what others come up with. Do some "art healing."

How to start:
-This can be done on a piece of paper, cardboard, whatever you have laying around
-college magazines, newspapers, pictures you like, words that inspire you. You can really use anything
-use either tape or glue to design your collage

What are your thoughts about making this collage?
Was it difficult thinking of positive qualities?
What are positive things you recognized in yourself?
What inspired you about this project? How did you feel afterward?

Butterfly

This is a great idea. Recently I saw some collages collected together in a book that were inspiring and was thinking of doing something similar. Just all sorts of trinkets, ribbons, some colored pencil and paint as well. Cutout of words and pictures was there too. It seemed like a nice project.

schrödinger's cat

Funny, I only know of you what I read on OOTF, but that collage just fits. It's so serene and poised.

Butterfly

alovelycreature

Love the collage! There's so much movement! I think it symbolizes what we're all striving for  :yes:

I started working on mine. Look forward to seeing more!

alovelycreature

For me this was really hard to make! I usually use my creativity to vent negative painful feelings, and not positive ones. I actually started making another collage first, and it wasn't really about self-acceptance, but more about escaping. I actually still used "escape" (without realizing it at the time) to do the self-acceptance collage. I guess my collage is about being in two worlds at once. One of the critic, and one where I want to be. I tried to write positive characteristics that others have said because my critic the entire time was like, "Oh how about that time you weren't helpful? Or that time you weren't humble?" Or even just judging what I made because collage work has always seemed challenging to me! Okay, time to go tell my critic who is boss  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rain

It's interesting, but for me when I see your collage, I see you with that last look back before going into the new positive world ...the thoughtful, available, caring You!

The young, seemingly wounded, deer with wings that can fly as well as run.   The past you are leaving is non-descript, into a world that is clearer.

Beautiful ...do share more, Lovely!

:hug:

zazu

Nice collages, Rain and Lovely!  :)
They tell me more about who you both are as people. :yes:

It's an interesting project. One that might be too challenging for me, actually! I can't understand my own artwork - I have to leave that to other people, lol.

alovelycreature

I feel like when I make most of my artwork I have no idea what it means. I'm just doing what feels right. I think that is why this project was difficult too, because I was making something intentionally instead of just letting it flow. It is a completely different process! However, interesting to see what happens.

Rain, I look forward to escaping to my new self! Haha. I think I will look at it that way.  ;D

flookadelic

It's beautiful! Anyone out there I'd just like to say that talent doesn't matter when it comes to art therapy. Just get whatever is inside you onto canvas. Art therapy of that sort was amazingly helpful for me when I went through rage after my diagnosis. It was a way for me to process harmful feelings in a constructive and healing way. Thank you to everyone who has contributed towards this thread!

zazu

So, would it be okay if we put together images of things that we have positive feelings about? Because I have a terrible time trying to think of my positive qualities and even moreso trying to think of images to represent them! But there are things that give me strong positive feelings, which may tell something about personality and values. etc.

Would that work or would it be defeating the purpose?

Butterfly

Lovely, nice collage!

Zazu, for that's how my excursion into art is turning out - I play around and only after a step back I might get the meaning or else someone else observes something deeper about it and I have my aha moment. So I think yes, out together some things you feel positive about. Have fun with it. Google art journal collage and also mixed media art. At first it looks like a hot mess but the eclectic mix of stuff makes me smile.

wingnut

I really like the image with the deer - a delicate, sensitive creature poised in a portal. Where did it come from and where is it going?

flookadelic

bheart - honestly, talent is far, far less important than intent and process with this stuff. That's where the magic lays, not in producing masterpieces:-)

flookadelic

bheart - ace! I love the battered heart and the acceptance message...the path out of the woods but also acknowledging it ain't all peaches and cream because those woods can still be a scary place. I hope it helps to have some of that process out in the world, in front of you :) Thanks very much for sharing!