What is the inner child?

Started by Annarae12, June 01, 2017, 10:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annarae12

I recently discovered I have cptsd and I don't know much about it. I am unsure of what the inner child is exactly i have read a few post but none of them really explain what it is. If someone could help me out that'd be great. Thanks.

Dee

The IC is that little one inside of you who never got a chance to be a child.  The one we need to love and nurture.  For me it is the little one who got stuck at 6 because she was introduced to the adult world too soon.

woodsgnome

I used to hear this term inner child and my reactions ranged from disbelief there was any such thing to its practical value in living with cptsd's ongoing symptoms. Like a lot of other notions, once I let my skepticism run its course, I tried some visualizations and finally experienced my own version of what's being talked about. I described this in a post here (warning...it's longish):

http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=3435.0

This also changed my mind in general about trying 'off-the-wall' approaches with this stuff. Cptsd is really a radical injury; sometimes it takes extraordinary, out-of-the-box means to deal with it adequately. And that includes some things that at first glance one resists, or that seem too illogical.

For another more 'professional' take on the IC, try this:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/200806/essential-secrets-psychotherapy-the-inner-child

I've come full-circle on this, mainly because I found relief in accepting the IC's presence in trying to live more fluently.

Babysister

:heythere:
The inner child is a term used to describe the emotional needs of you when you were little that sadly, went unmet by your caretakers and pop up today to remind you that you need to nurture yourself at that age. Meaning that you need to look at what you endured and what you deeply longed for at the ages you were abused. I got this concept early in my recovery reading an ancient book called the inner child by a pioneer in the field, Dr. Charles Whitfield. It was so illuminating that even though i was near the beginning of my recovery everything rang true on a deeply feeling level as well as an intellectual level.
Once you understand what it is that you needed that you did not get during your childhood which is first and foremost, love, joy, and safety. You will explore what you liked as a child and what you can DO to make yourself feel safe by doing some of the things that made you happy at that age.
This is pretty succinct so i hope it helps you.

Annarae12

How are you suppose to know any of those things though? I dont connect to my childhood at all so I'm not sure what i felt or what even happened.

Three Roses

Whether or not we are aware of an inner child - or inner children - within us, each of us was once a child and inevitably experienced some pain. If we were not nurtured properly, it is that emotional fragment of us that remains behind, waiting for love, comfort and protection. Until those needs are met, a portion of you remains childlike, innocent, and hurting.

Some of us are out of touch with the pain we endured. Our minds are beautiful and creative, building inner fortifications that work to keep us alive, functioning, and as pain-free as possible. For some, and this includes me, that goes so far as to give us a sort of "amnesia", for single traumatic events or even long stretches of our childhoods.

Inner child work is best done with the help and guidance of a licensed mental health professional. Doing this work alone or guided by an unqualified person can result in retraumatization.

In the Resources section, we have several books on the inner child/children that many of us have found helpful - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/Books.html (click the link on the left for Inner Child).

Hope this helps!  :wave:

Whobuddy

" Cptsd is really a radical injury; sometimes it takes extraordinary, out-of-the-box means to deal with it adequately. And that includes some things that at first glance one resists, or that seem too illogical."

Woodsgnome, I really love this explanation. I keep thinking that dealing with this should be simple - it is not.

sigiriuk

It takes courage to admit that you have cPTSD. I am sorry that you have suffered. Disclosure is really tough, but congratulations,  as it is the start of your healing process. We are all here for each other. Just opening up is enough for one week!
Slim