Hi--adult child of alcoholic and survivor of childhood trauma here!

Started by Michoacana, June 01, 2017, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michoacana

Hello all,

I am a 31 year old woman and I just finished reading The Body Keeps the Score and it blew my mind! I just ordered a C-PTSD workbook and I can't wait. So many "a-ha THAT'S why!" moments, I can't even wrap my mind around everything yet.

I never knew that a term like this existed for childhood trauma, abuse, and neglect and that there are many evidenced-based treatment. Although I carry so much hurt and pain from my past, along with depression and anxiety, I now know that there is a name for what I have experienced and that there are many options to help heal me.

Looking forward to participating in this online space and share!

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, Michoacana!

I also had many "that's why!" moments when I read "The Body Keeps The Score". Such a fantastic book! :wave:

Eyessoblue

Hi, your life sounds identical to mine! Cptsd is the worst but you will get a lot of support on here.

SunBear

Welcome Michoacana  :wave::)

Glad you are here, I'm looking forward to my copy of 'the body keeps the score' arriving!

Best wishes for your recovery, I've found this website really useful, with lots of supportive people and kind words!

Michoacana

Hi everyone!! Thanks for the welcome and the supportive words!!

Right now, I'm working up the courage to call and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist with works with adults who were traumatized as children, or a psychiatrist who is informed about C-PTSD. I feel REALLY anxious about it. I definitely need help in order to help me manage my constant fear of overwhelming and paralyzing emotions...which, for me, includes making this call in the first place lol!

Why is it so hard for me to even take that first step and ask for concrete help for my mental and physical health? Ughh...I know healing is a long and non-linear process but now that I'm informed about C-PTSD, my journey looks a little clearer.

Eyessoblue

Hi, where do you live, are you in the uk? I'm from the uk and just been through the whole procedure of being assessed etc etc so can talk you through it if you are from the uk, if not then it's going to be different no doubt.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi Michoacana
Thank you for sharing
Quote 'why is it so hard for me to.... ask for help'
I asked for a psychiatrist to assess me in February when I'd crashed and burnt out from changing meds and got really unwell.. I'd previously been seeing a child trauma therapist and asked if she could be there too..
For me I was really nervous too and I think it's usual .. not everyone hands themselves to a psychiatrist, it's a big thing ...
He turned out to be very kind and patient and I felt put at ease..
Have you got someone who could be with you whilst you make the call ? Maybe also make some little notes so you can look at them for guidance if you need to ..
I was very clear and just asked for what I wanted 'I want to ask for an assessment for complex ptsd' . My general doctor made the referral- would it need you to call or would a doctor be able to refer you ?
I would suggest just keep it simple and direct .. say you've done a lot of research and can see you are suffering in your daily life

Michoacana

Hi all, thanks for all these responses and the support!

I followed the link and read this info sheet, it's really helpful and I think I will use it when I go for an assessment with the therapist and the psychiatrist: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56983ac169492ecf0c7dc1c7/t/580e955b2e69cf6ad1451a20/1477350747751/Complex+PTSD+as+a+Diagnosis.pdf

I'm in the U.S. and I'm a graduate student so I have health insurance through my school. I already have a referral for both a therapist and a psychiatrist and they gave me a list of referrals in my network for both. So now I have to comb through and call and make appointments. When I made the call for a referral, I had a friend with me who is also diagnosed with a mental illness (not C-PTSD) but he knows what it's like to navigate mental health services so it was SO helpful to have his moral support when I made the call!

Can a therapist diagnose C-PTSD or only a psychiatrist? I don't have a diagnosis for depression or anxiety but I think I have both, as well. Since I've fallen behind in my graduate work, I need some kind of diagnosis in order to access accommodations for students with disabilities at my school.

Oh, and I also just got the C-PTSD Workbook in the mail today and I'm excited to look through it...although, again, healing is really hard work and I do feel nervous about it. But, just knowing that this diagnosis exists is a BIG relief for me, it gives a name to what I have suffered my entire life and I feel hopeful that there are many brain-mind-body treatments available.

Thanks again everyone!!

Boatsetsailrose

Hi :)
I'm in the uk and its only psychiatrist that can make the diagnosis, noting however that there isn't an 'official diagnosis' as the diagnostic manuals don't include cptsd. But he put my diagnosis and linked it to 'events in childhood' so I do on paper have a diagnosis of complex trauma.

It's good to hear you got the support from a friend and that you have been referred.
I'm so grateful to know about cptsd, I can only think that thousands of people would fit but just don't know and go through life suffering depression and anxiety and all the other difficulties we know so well..
As you say having a 'name' and then all the hope that brings about what is available and the healing that can be gained

Sending you all best wishes for the next part of your journey :)

Blackbird

Hi Michoacana  :wave:

I'm also a child of an abusive alcoholic, hope you feel comfortable talking about your issues.

I think it's great you jumped on the recovery bandwagon right away, just be careful not to retraumatize yourself. :)

Hope you can find a therapist soon!
:hug: