Bubbles of fear

Started by Blackbird, June 05, 2017, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbird

Hey guys. So, I'm wondering if any of you are suffering/have overcome something related to this.

Due to my trauma I've developed what I call my 'bubbles of fear', irrational fears of anything resembling being somewhat 'achieved in life' (if that counts for something). Academic fear (although I spend my days researching and exploring the scientific world, I fear I will never be a good academic, and so I block myself from pursuing academic endeavours); Fear of relationships - this one is pretty obvious and self explanatory. Fear of driving (have anxiety episodes because of other's mistakes and refuse to drive). Fear of success in anything, so I stopped doing everything that was bringing me anything resembling any kind of success and sense of achievement.... And so forth, there are plenty more.

I really want to overcome this, especially the academic fear in the near future as I actually need my financial independence. I don't even need to be very successful, just good enough lol... Oh my... Anyway, have any of you overcame something similar? How do I even begin taking the first step? I feel completely lost, T said I need to figure out my own answers to this, and I understand the why I'm there (kinda stuck there actually), I just need to figure out a way to get out of there.

Any input is highly valuable. Thank you.

Dee

I can't relate directly, but I have had many fears which has brought on extreme perfectionism at times.  I had a fear of doing anything wrong, but never gave me credit for doing rights.  With every achievement I thought I was a fraud and the achievement was a fluke so I lived in fear of being discovered for not being as good as people thought I was.  I am learning to accept both my accomplishments and failures.  For me awareness and acceptance are the first step.

Blackbird

Thanks for the response, Dee. Awareness and acceptance, I'll work on that :)