Looking to come in from the cold . . .(perhaps triggering?)

Started by Trees, December 18, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.

When I met with my T this week he commented that all of these responses...the turtle, the curtain, the closed door...really they are normal responses to an abnormal reality.  Somehow knowing that we really are all "normal" and have found ways to survive pain and sorrow helps me.

I love the pathway analogy.  So true.  I like science and brain biology too and sometimes I even think I feel those old pathways and new ones forming in my frontal cortex...

I love both Rumi and Kahil Gibran.

Trees, I identify with aging a lot...I am nearing half a century and sometimes I am just so shocked that I spent so much of my life in denial...on the other hand the wisdom and experience often make my awareness a bit more keen...

So welcome.  I look forward to journeying here with you as well.

C.

flookadelic

Hello Trees, Rain...

It is such a wonderful analogy because it refuses to break down. Eventually most analogies break down and cannot truly reflect 100% the principle it seeks to clarify. But somehow this one doesn't. I learnt it off a Buddhist nun and it has always stayed with me. On a slight tangent she also quoted the Buddha..."why cover the whole world in leather when you can wear a pair of shoes?" Which is a lovely way of saying that we can try and rearrange our external circumstances until the cows come home to try and be happy, and never get to the end of the task (covering the world with leather) or we can develop our heart and minds in order to become happy (wear a pair of shoes) which is a far more elegant and practical way of experiencing leather beneath one's feet. Lovely saying.

chiraheally

Dear Trees, today you replied to my introductory post and I was so touched, I thought, I want to hear her story too, so I found your intro and wanted to tell you how moved I am by your spirit (and those of the people who replied to you!).  I am constantly inspired by the "quality of [people's] hearts" here (to quote Pete Walker), it seems to me you are an example of Rain's Kahlil Gibran quote!

So thanks for replying to me, thanks for being here, thanks for being you and sharing yourself and your heart with me/us.  May I add my hug to the others':  :hug:

Chira

Rrecovery

Hi Trees and Welcome  :wave:

I hear how much you have suffered and are suffering.  I'm glad you have found this safe, loving place.  I have appreciated your posts on different threads and wanted to read your intro and welcome you.  Glad you found this place - where you can be supported and understood  :hug:

Trees

Hi Rrecovery, thank you so much for your kind message of welcome and support.  Finding this site has truly been a blessing for me.    :yes:    Thank you so much for all your contributions to the warm atmosphere here.    :hug: