Is anyone a highly sensitive being?

Started by alchemist, June 12, 2017, 08:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBirdy

I relate to these all too well! Once the sound of my mom crinkling a bag of chips hurt so badly I grabbed it out of her hand to make the noise stop lol. Usually I find that noises bother me when I'm stressed or a loud noise occurs and I was not expecting it.

MyPrison1965

Quote from: Slim on June 20, 2017, 09:45:52 AM
I read somewhere that this is very common in survivors. The article sees it as an aspect of hypervigilance. When we were little, we were in so much danger, that we developed our senses to a very high level.

We could then predict events from how the front door was closed, a tone of voice, certain atmospheres in the house, etc etc.

What interested me was that we survivors use every conceivable skill available.

We even attuned ourselves to more extrasensory predictions, eg. sixth sense.
Yes this was a scientific paper!

...and yes, I do believe that I have some abilities in this area. There, I said it! Bit embarrassed about sharing that.

I do have this sixth sense gift or is it a curse? I can feel the moods of others and even the intent of someone without them saying a word I can predict certain things are about to happen, I do myself a favor if I keep tune to it rather to shut it off I didn't want to over assume but I realize that this sense is a tool to help me.

Three Roses

I also have a pretty reliable sense of moods and intentions of others. It serves me well, when I listen to it.

basically0kkim

:wave: Sensitive one here as well. I have often attributed it to my hearing loss/tinnitus but I had a spell of dissociation when a couple of dudes were shouting at each other in a grocery store parking lot last month. I wasn't even in the same lane as them but I was ducking for cover and trying to hide beside my Jeep. Hispanic men speaking to each other can sometimes trigger me due to some specific trauma from my youth but thats understandable on its own. I live near an air force base and the jets are neat to watch but the noise really jangles my nerves. But its not just noise...sometimes its the vibe, something in the atmosphere that causes similar feelings to the ones I get with noise. Either way, you are certainly not alone.  :hug:

Boy22

My psychiatrist opened my eyes when he said where as most people could sense a rainbow of moods - in other words six or seven shades - whereas I can see ten or eleven and that I can even sense a persons mood before they are aware of it.

Since then I have tried it out and he is right. It can be an incredible tool for empathy with others. Pity we wern't shown the same empathy as children.

Deep Blue

I just realized I was highly sensitive too.  Last month I was reading about empaths and stumbled across highly sensitive individuals. 

Smells drive me crazy.  My T changed the glade plugin and I've been complaining about it for over a month!

fullofsoundandfury

Boy22

Quote from: fullofsoundandfury on September 24, 2018, 04:41:02 AM
Pretty sure it's just hypervigilance,
It is, in part. But it is more than just that.

Not all of us get the same "gifts".

Libby183

I tend to think it is a combination of a more sensitive personality,  which is then made hypervigilant through trauma.

I think this is an area where there is something of a cross over with high functioning autism /aspergers. My aspergers son and I share many similarities around hypersensitivies but he is in a much better "place"  than me, as he has not been traumatised and is not hypervigilant.

Wondering if this makes sense!

EZ Linus

Quote from: fullofsoundandfury on September 24, 2018, 04:41:02 AM
Pretty sure it's just hypervigilance,

Hi. I'm brand new here. I wanted to join in the conversation because I'm very highly sensitive -- so much so that I can't even put dishes away from the dishwasher. I hate the sound of dishes touching each other. Sounds hurt all the nerves inside my upper torso, back and shoulders. I feel traumatized by any loud banging (a hammer, someone moving furniture, putting down something heavy in the next room, etc.)

Interestingly enough I used to be a musician. Music is a lot different than sitting quietly, which I often do now, and then these annoying sounds are suddenly introduced.

I'm also an artist, and I've always taken on other people's anxiety. That is part of my trauma, and I know much of this comes from my traumas, but I also think there is a kind of brain-wired sensitivity that puts one on the spectrum. Some doctors call it Synethesia. I've had it since I was little. I feel sounds. Also, letters and numbers are in different colors. They actually have personalities, even genders.

I can't handle crowds. Can't have someone stand behind me.  Can't watch an action movie in a theater -- sensory overload.

Now, does anyone have an aversion to water??? This has been a lifelong thing for me. I hate water splashing on my face or chest. I mean, really HATE it. Every shower is hard to get through.

Three Roses

EZ, I have an aversion to water but it's because of a traumatic event. I have a hard time seeing anything or anyone under water, without involuntarily holding my breath. But showering is okay, I can even swim sometimes.

I've heard of synesthesia before - I read a book (can't remember the title) and one of the people interviewed was a synesthete who experienced tastes as large, tangible objects. Depending on the taste, he could experience, say, an orange cylinder or a blue cube. He could feel these shapes in his hands.

I understand each person's case is different. And in fact the article I read on wiki said that synesthetes usually score higher in IQ tests and the like.

I will sometimes experience a smell from certain bright colors but that's all that happens for me. I don't think that's the same thing.

Being highly sensitive (HS) is different than hypervigilance, from what I understand.