Meniere's Disease

Started by ElizabethGenevieve, June 13, 2017, 11:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElizabethGenevieve

I won't go into too much detail, but I think I might have an early stage of Meniere's Disease (a severe inner ear disease). I've had ear issues since I was little but they have been getting progressively worse over the last 2 years or so. I'm going to get checked out as soon as I can. But I'm curious - do any of you have chronic ear/inner ear issues? They say stress makes inner ear disorders worse, and lord knows I've had way too much stress since forever. I don't want to tell the audiologist or ENT about my abusive past or sleep issues but if it is impacting my ear health I feel like I maybe should. What are your experiences with this and do you have any advice for me?

Zeus Faber

I developed Menieres disease and I would say it was linked to stress, I did a lot of research on possible causes and joined the Menieres disease society - ( UK) they recommend stopping drinking instant coffee ( some chemical they put in it to make the froth is not good ) stop taking Ibuprofen ( due to stress I was popping them like sweets ) cut down on salt, stop eating artificial sweeteners. I also found that if I was on the phone a lot while on the computer, my head position could trigger an episode. In fact , thinking about it , it was when the relationship I was in began to show itself as toxic as well as when my mother ( one of the authors of my toxic life story ) developed Alzheimer's. I hadn't made the link before , but thinking about it , if there isn't it was a big coincidence !!

sanmagic7

eg, i don't have experience with this particular condition, but i do believe you can give a brief statement to those helping you.  something along the lines of having c-ptsd (usually, they here ptsd, and understand something's out of whack without going into details) and how stress is interfering with your sleep. 

i don't know if that's helpful - it's just what i guess i would do.  i did mention c-ptsd when i was at the eye doc's and the assistant startled me.  she was kind, said that she would make sure to let me know what she was going to do beforehand so i wouldn't get startled.    i hope you find some relief.     :hug:

Deep Blue

Sorry I know this topic hasn't been posted on in a really long time.  I have Ménière's disease and was diagnosed about 4 years ago.  Not a week goes by without me taking medication for it.  It can make me fear going out or driving. 

Kizzie

Just thought I'd include a link to the Mao Clinic's description of what this is - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374910 .

I can see why you would be nervous about driving Deep Blue.   

Deep Blue

My vertigo can can get unbearable at times.  My frustration is that the medicine just stops me from throwing up when I'm dizzy.  It doesn't help the dizziness.   

Heavy sigh...  :sadno:

Kizzie

I've had a couple of mild bouts of vertigo not even nausea with it and I can't imagine having it constantly Deep Blue.   :hug:   

Deep Blue

Thanks for the hug Kizzie  :hug:

Deep Blue

Thanks BeHea1thy,
I've been to specialized ear doctors.  The testing made me very sick as well.  Recently I started going to a chiropractor to try to help my vertigo.  It does seem to be working a little.  Any improvement is helpful to me.  I had a bout this morning and took some ginger tablets.  Baby steps but I promise I take it seriously.

Deep Blue

Rudi

I have not yet been tested for Meniere's disease due to other issues I'm dealing with at this time but my ear doctor put me into hearing aids which immediately cut the intensity of the ringing in my ears (full disclosure, I have hearing problems) by so much that I was amazed. Since I have been wearing them I have been able to cut the amount of medication I take for vertigo and nausea, which I took several times a day, down to maybe once a week, if that.

The downside is that hearing aids can be expensive and insurance barely pays anything considering the cost, however, I would sell an organ to get the relief I am getting! Like teeth, ears are important and really I had no idea how not being able to "hear myself think" was truly affecting my mental health even more.