Anger over diagnosis

Started by Hamster122, June 24, 2017, 05:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesG

Hi Hamster

I totally relate, it seems like a total imposition to have these issues on top of having got yourself into a fully function position. For many in here they have a variation on this theme and it's a cruel effect, no question. But it is what it is, and we have to roll with it, because fighting against it will just make it worse, it will place another lump of stress on you and the weight on your shoulders will grow.

The best way I seem to be able to see it is that all the positives you have gained are still there, but you have this long overdue cluttered attic to sort. You've got a great house, but the attic is a mess. Now is the time to sort it. Personally, I find that understanding the science of the thing really helps so I'd advise you separate yourself into two parts, the one who feels and the one who understands, the understanding coming from the research that's out there. Spartan life coach on youtube, really really good.

It's a hard road, I won't try and fool you, but it's the road we are on and accepting it is a big first step. That you have come on here and expressed your feelings is a sign of that. You've had a rough, rough time, but you are a strong and resilient person. That is not over, the strength is the part that you will now need to face this down. It's a different strength because it is internal and not pointed at the world outside but it is all the nobler for that.

Sceal

There are a lot of different opinions here of various degrees, so I thought I too will put in my two cents. 😊

Im in my early 30ies and have been on and off in therapy since I was 18. Most of the therapy I have had has simply been "symptom regulating". For anxiety and depressions mostly. For me, this hasnt worked. I am going to start talking about my trauma now. I recognize that I will most likely never be able to function 100% in a job and social setting. But right now I only function 10%. I know  work ahead of me will be hard, difficult and at times i suspect it will be overwhelming. But, I want to work towards a higher functioning level.
Before I brought it up with my psychologist that this is what I think I need now, I broke down infront of a different psychologist. And she told me something I think is important:
Not everyone need to or even should talk about their trauma in detail. Some people need to just get more information and skills on how to deal with present and future difficulties. Other people have the need to only go through their last trauma. And some all of it.
It is very individual. 

You are the expert on you. Only you can truly know what is best for you at this point of life.

As far as trust goes.  I didnt trust people for a very long time,.until someone taught me it is possible to just trust someone part-way. Like you can trust the plumber to do his job, but you dont trust him enough to lend him your car.  Silly example i know, but i couldnt think of anything else