Do you ever consider the possibility of D.I.D?

Started by Coco, July 04, 2017, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coco

As in, dissociative identity disorder?

I'm starting to wonder if I have a version of it.....

songbirdrosa

I did, once. When I was younger, I used to give names to different aspects of my personality, and then I'd "become" that person when the situation called for it. But, that was a very conscious thing for me, and I was always aware that I was doing it. It wasn't really having an alter take over, so much as I was adopting a character. I guess it felt easier to get through some circumstances if it wasn't the real me having to face it. I don't really do it anymore, though. Those different sides have become part of my personality as a cohesive whole.

How does it affect you?

Dee

It is possible to have different degrees of dissociation but not DID.  It is also possible to be almost DID.  Where there are different ego states, but it is not possessive.  The person can watch the different ego state act, but is still present and does not have amnesia.  It has been suggested to me that I have some fragmentation, different ego states, but not DID.  DDNOS was mentioned when I was inpatient.  My psychiatrist said I don't need another label, he's right.  My therapist told me disassociation is part of CPTSD and we can leave it at that.  That is why it is called complex.

I think there is such a large range on the dissociation scale that sometimes it is hard to know just where a person falls.  There are no clear lines either.  It is hard to fit cleanly into one category or another.

Fictionalizer

I had DID poly-fragmented, with three layers of alters and fragments. I am now integrated. I still dissociate though and use that more as a tool for different abilities I have.

I originally self-diagnosed after a woman noticed me switching during an ACDF (anonymous) meeting. She suggested a book to me which was about someone's experience with DID. Back then it was called MPD. The woman was in school studying to be a psychologist and had DID herself. I read the book and recognized myself in it immediately. I was officially diagnosed about six months later by a therapist.

There are many different forms of DID. Some people only have alters and no fragments. Some people only have fragments. Some people have fragmented emotions. And there's many more forms beyond that.

sigiriuk

Yes, I have DID. 
It has been witnessed by at least 3 Psychiatrists and a team of mental health workers - all at the same time.
I have also lost 45min in a Public Enquiry.
It is not always this dramatic, and often it is aspects of myself that fight for dominance within me.

• I found that admitting it helps the most

• I do not use stimulants like caffeine.

• I do not use cannabis as it can make it much much worse.

• I talk about it with my psychiatrist and therapist.

• I try to meditate but this and all of the above are difficult to sustain.

Peace
Slim  :hug:

Blueberry

Quote from: Dee on July 04, 2017, 03:11:10 PM

It is possible to have different degrees of dissociation but not DID.  It is also possible to be almost DID.  Where there are different ego states, but it is not possessive.  The person can watch the different ego state act, but is still present and does not have amnesia.  It has been suggested to me that I have some fragmentation, different ego states, but not DID.  DDNOS was mentioned when I was inpatient.  My psychiatrist said I don't need another label, he's right.  My therapist told me disassociation is part of CPTSD and we can leave it at that.  That is why it is called complex.

I think there is such a large range on the dissociation scale that sometimes it is hard to know just where a person falls.  There are no clear lines either.  It is hard to fit cleanly into one category or another.

I could have written this too!

CepheidVox

Yes, I have OSDD, which is nearly DID. My parts are less separated than in DID but they're separated enough to have their own memories and opinions. I think DID as a dx is reserved for only the most severe examples...

Liminality

I don't have amnesia in my day-to-day life now (as far as I know), but have dissociated fragments/separate parts and used to have some amnesia until late in my teens. Lately some parts have been acting up more than usual, so I'm actually seeking a psychiatric evaluation in three days to see if I can get help.

Relinquishedpain

As many have stated, plurality comes in many forms for many reasons, but it can be quite difficult to tell, particularly if you do not have long spells of amnesia. We as a whole have never lost hours or days at a time, but often we do lose a few minutes here and there, a conversation, or parts of a conversation, we suffer quite frequent deja vu, as well as frequent forgetting what we were doing or why we entered a room.

Personally I think plurality as a concept is far more prevalent than people realize, we simply do not acknowledge it unless it becomes a problem.  A system that works together fluidly is not a problem and would have no reason to recognize themselves as separate beings.

We have a similar issue in that our numbers are constantly changing, there are any number of fragments and alters that come and go from time to time, but for the most part, we work together well and can agree or compromise on most things which makes it far easier to co-exist. Which at times of course makes us question our plurality, but there are always little things that set us apart.

Our opinions may differ slightly, we have different preferences in how to say things, what words to use, how to use those words, etc. Even if we may agree or compromise on an outcome of a decision, we have vastly differing reasons why we come to the same conclusion, etc.

If you are questioning, there are a few DID communities around the web that can give you a chance to share your experiences a bit more with other systems, and see what fits, and what doesn't of course, Headspace, a server on Discord is something I could recommend personally, they helped us a lot in the few months we were there.

AphoticAtramentous

The possibility of having DID frustrates me a lot.
Because a few weeks ago I said to my therapist; "I don't really have many 'identity' issues." And now I plan to tell her tomorrow that I do have identity issues because I've had a few recent weeks of being really confused again with myself and not understanding what the heck I want. Which might prove even more that I do have identity issues because this is a continuous cycle where I believe I'm fine then believe I'm not. I'm frustrated because I can't even decide what I think of my identity because my view of my identity changes all the time.
In a nutshell:  :stars: :stars: :stars:

I'd love to talk to someone with diagnosed DID, have for a while, just ask them a few questions to maybe help my understanding of the condition and to kind of compare. But I don't like the thought of prodding at someone with curiosity, like I'm a toddler seeing a cat for the first time. Seems too rude and intrusive. Haha

I really want to talk to my therapist about this stuff though but it's really hard because I can't remember what my other opinions and thoughts are like. I don't know if my memory is just averagely bad or if there's actually something more seriously wrong. I mean, I can barely remember what I tell people. Literally every day on numerous occasions I ask myself; "Wait, have I said this to this person already? I can't remember. I hope not..." And with the forum I can't remember what I post or have posted and it's just...  :blink:  ???  :Idunno:

Andyman73

I know I have some form of something.  But what, I just don't know. Started having Deja vu as a young child. 40 years later, still have it. Less frequently, then I did when I was younger. Parents were always telling me I remembered wrong. Or memories were too far fetched to be believed. Same with Deja vu.

Have lots and lots of lost time episodes over my life. Had one about 2.5 years ago, lost 4 hours, memory resumes in the midst of an out of body experience. I was standing behind myself, looking over my right shoulder, wife talkin at me, no sounds though. Don't even know how that situation resolved itself.

I don't remember most of my childhood. I have no connection to the man in the mirror. I know it's me, but I don't feel it's me. When I catch my reflection in passing, I often do a double take as I don't recognize my own reflection. Or remember that I was wearing those clothes, either.

BlancaLap

I don't think I have the DID some people have... but I think everything happens inan spectrum. That means we could have a low version of DID while other have the full version. I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well...

Dee

BlancaLap

You explained it just fine.  I understand.  I also agree.