The healing porch

Started by Wife#2, July 10, 2017, 02:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat

I had such a lovely time walking the dogs down to the open-air farmers market this morning.  The dogs are all so well-behaved!  I was stopped quite frequently by children wanting to give the dogs some love.  Of course, I didn't mind.  It was so fun watching the kids find delight in the dogs and the dogs in the children. 

I picked up some halloumi cheese--calorie-free of course--at the market.  I'll grill off a few chunks to go with the watermelon and mint.  It's a surprisingly good combination.  I hope you all like it as much as I do.  If not, we can use the the cheese to make nagasaki--Greek flaming cheese!

I'm off for a quick workout now IRL, so I'll catch you all a bit later.  Great to see everyone!

Wife#2

Kat, what a great post! I can see the dogs not even requiring their leashes to behave, the children's smiles and the dogs looking like they're grinning back at the children.

I've never had halloumi cheese, but the combination does sound wonderful. The watermelon was cut into small, manageable wedges. What color is the halloumi cheese? I'd like to make colorful plates for everyone - We'll have the red of the watermelons, the deep green of the mint, the cheese, some blueberries or raspberries and/or grapes in every color.

My mouth is watering talking about this. I think a trip to the store for some more fresh fruit is in my near future IRL.

I'm glad I made the sun tea yesterday, it's too stormy on my side of the porch today. Oh, how I love sitting in the safety of the porch rocking chairs, blanket of comfort and happy nostalgia wrapped around me, listening to the thunder and the patter of raindrops. Watching the flashes of lightning and the puddles grow to ponds. ::: Nods :::  Yes, enjoying the fruit, cheese and mint with my fresh sun tea and the Earthy sounds of the storm. This is a good day.

Elphanigh

Can I come hang out with you on that side of the porch Wife2? Watermelon is one of my favorites! It sounds delicious. Also I love watching storms from a safe spot, the sound of rain and thunder is perfect. It makes for a great day to read, and chat with a friend. I need this safe spot for my heart today.

IRL I should also go get some fruit. I might go buy a watermelon when I go grocery shopping tonight

Wife#2

Elphanigh, I'd be honored to share time and porch with you! I may miss reading, but right now, it's nice to just rest my head back on the rocking chair, close my eyes and just listen.

The watermelon is cold and seedless (unless you prefer having little 'seed spitting' contests - I like those, too!). I even snuck a salt shaker if that's something you like.

The smells include some of San's incense, some of Kat's special cheese, the animals (fresh from baths and toweling dry), the fresh smell of the fruit and the indescribable scent of fresh, wet earth.

The textures are soft, clean fur, soft, warm blankets, wicker strands on the chairs, the hardness of the rinds and grape stems, the soft pulp of the watermelon and grape, (don't know the texture of the cheese... Kat?).

By the way - thank you to those who brought cats, this lovely little fellow stretched out on my lap is a purring delight. He has gray eyes and enjoys making eye contact. Though, he may be after the cheese! LOL.

Ahhh, a good long stretch, a walk around the porch to see how everyone else is doing. Back to Elphanigh on our safe storm side and that delightful cat companion.

Elphanigh

Thank you so much Wife2 for letting me join you.  Your imagery as always is amazing, just reading that is calming for me  because I can put myself there.

I am going to switch to a warm cup of tea (it's a magic porch so I can have my favorite chamomile mint brew). Then go grab one of our wonderful feline friends to enjoy giving some love to will listening to the rain.

This sounds like a perfect afternoon

Kat

Halloumi is a semi-hard, white cheese.  I don't know that it has much of a smell.  Oh, and by the way, it's SAGANAKI that the Greeks make with this cheese, not nagaski.  Bad mistake to make considering I was writing about it flaming. 

I could use a little cat cuddle and a nap right about now.  My big boy Shaun is always up for a nap.  His favorite spot is up at the top of my head.  Of course, he'll have to style my hair first--he doesn't make biscuits on my belly like other cats might; he prefers to knead my scalp.  Once he's got my hair in the perfect mess, he'll settle in and begin to purr.  Pretty soon that'll give way to some soft snores and I'll be off to sleep. 

Wake me when the hopscotch games start up.   

Elphanigh

Your cat sounds so amazing. Thalia is mine, and is odd all around. She does like to just knead wherever she can. She likes to groom my hair sometimes..  but like a mother cat would to her kitten, not with kneed her claws, it is adorable when it isn't the thing waking me from much needed sleep.

I have stayed away from this post to make sure I got everything done today. I am most of the way done with my work day and would like to come join the porch for a little while. I am bringing none fattening muffins, pastries, and my favorite cheesecake. I make perfect one with lots of fun toppings!

Elphanigh

I want to come stay on the porch until my heart doesn't hurt anymore. Cuddled up with a blanket of comfort, and maybe not happiness that's too far.. maybe just comfort and peace. Cuddle up with one of my dogs from my family home. His name is Milo, he is a 5 year old chocolate lab who is the sweetest most loving dog you will ever meet. He has nothing but kindness to give, he also came from abuse so he is like me. He is a big dog that loves to play fetch and will swim in the water for hours if you let him. Even play fetch in and out of the water he adores everyone that will play.

However, he is such a great dog to cuddle with. A giant lap dog, but sit next to me on the large chair with part of his body weight on me as a comfort. He is always good at reading when I need him, or am hurting. I miss him a lot somedays. I haven't seen him in almost a year, but he always goes right back to loving me.

I need to feel loved today. SO he is perfect. This porch full of magical things, and people coming and goes as they need it is brilliant and good. Hopefully no one needs it as much as I do today, but I welcome company as well. I can whip us up some tea. Sitting watching another storm like I did with Wife2 the other day.

Wife#2

I'm back here with you today, Elphanigh. I've got my fly swatter out - ready to swat any ugly thoughts away.

Comfort, love, worth, beauty - these are the themes on the porch today. For these are the emotions and attributes that surround your name.

Yes, another storm just far enough away to be totally safe. Just close enough that the cooling rain sometimes gets on the breeze and joins us on this porch.

Elphanigh

Thank you Wife2. It is a huge comfort to read that. I need someone to swat them away sometimes.

Those four themes are perfect, and exactly what I need today. It has been a long one, I mean it has been a long few weeks but today has been a true challenge.  Sitting on the porch with those in mind, and knowing someone is with me is such an amazing thing. Your kindness always amazes me.

I love the rain, especially when irl it is supper hot and humid.

Thank you  :hug: :hug:

sanmagic7

i've been away from here too long, and it's wonderful to be back.  been so busy, but am resting here, watching the storm - thunderstorms have always been some of my favorite things - and some berries to snack on.  those themes are perfect for me, too.  i feel like i've been torn a bit this week, and i just need a blanket of mending.

i forgot how lovely it is to be here.  you all are so wonderful.  trust the magic - it will always take care of us.  love and hugs all around.

songbirdrosa

I need a peaceful place to be today, and nice porch watching the storm seems just perfect. There's a storm in my mind that needs to be quieted and I've always found rain to be very calming. I'll sit on the ground with my two girls.  :umbrella: :rundog:

Blueberry

I think I'm going to climb into the hammock, wrap both edges over myself and rock gently to and fro.

Wife#2

San! So glad you're back - the garden is coming along nicely. The rain has been helping, I think I see growth there.

Elphanigh, how's your tea? Do you need a refresh?

SongbirdRosa, welcome again. It's fun watching the animals play, even in the rain. Nothing like soggy paws and soggy kisses as they run back to us. I have one who gives hugs, his name is Bear. He's still a puppy, so very full of energy.

Blueberry, that sounds wonderful. May I get you anything? Your favorite beverage, snack? Some of this lovely fresh fruit?

Kat - I'd love to play hopscotch even in the rain. It's a gentle enough rain to play in. I used tape for this 'board', so the rain wouldn't wash it away. Dibs on the shiny black stone!

Everyone - thank you for letting me bring this porch to life. Thank you for allowing me the joy of 'serving' you. Until this healing porch got going, I had no idea how important reaching out to others and being positive in their lives helped me focus and be positive in my own life. I've missed that for a long time. You've helped me bring that back into my soul and I feel so very at home inside my own head and skin right now.

THANK YOU!!!

Oh, and those sitting in rockers? My puppies finally mastered climbing up on furniture. And they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being lap puppies - and Bear really does give hugs while he licks your ears.

Elphanigh

San it is great to have you back. I will join you hear today. I may be busy at work, but it gives my mind an escape from the paperwork.

Wife2, could definitely use more tea, thank you. I think I am starting to get a cold from working so much.. The tea helps so much. As does just sitting back and watching everyone enjoy this peaceful place. It is nice to have somewhere to go mentally when I am so worn out.

I am glad to have helped make this place come alive with you Wife2. It is amazing that you have created such a place, and I am glad to hear that it is helping you so much to have this