The healing porch

Started by Wife#2, July 10, 2017, 02:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife#2

I would like to make this the official home of the healing porch.

This is an idea several of us have come up with and want to maintain.

What we already know about the healing porch - first, it is imaginary. But, based on some real facts. It resembles the photo in my profile picture (an actual house I wish I could buy... ahh, if wishes were houses, I'd own it today).

Second, the porch wraps all the way around the house. Those who enjoy sun can sit in the un-roofed section, those who don't so much can even enjoy the screened in section. There are chairs, tables, swings, sofas, easy chairs.

Third, there is a beach and ocean just off the one side of the house. This ocean has crystal blue water, the sand never gets too hot to walk on.

Off another side of the porch is a middle/large concrete area for chalk expression and art. Hopscotch is popular over here.

Forest and lawn are represented off the other two porch sides. This is a magical healing porch, so it can shift as is needed for your healing time with us.

We have board games, bug lights, blankets of healing, peace, comfort, acceptance, rest and many other necessary emotions. They are scattered about the porch and you are welcome to wrap yourself in whichever blank you need. Fear not, this is a magical porch - if everyone needs acceptance, there will be enough to go around.

Refreshing beverages are always available - sorry, folks - one thing I feel strongly about, no alcohol. It blocks healing. Otherwise, all drinks are just waiting, cold or hot as is best for that beverage.

Snacks and light meals are also all around - fruit bowls, vegetable trays. Any vegan can be as well fed as the omnivores (including me) on this porch. If food is part of your challenge, there will always be a 'food-free' side to remove that as an issue during your time on the healing porch.

We've just had the suggestion that my puppies join us on the porch. I think it's a wonderful idea. In fact, if anyone has a pet, please bring it! We have shelving to hold aquariums, window jambs that would hold 20 pound cats, places for puppies to run and fetch, and whatever your pet wants or needs. Because this is a magical porch, messes clean themselves and no pet would DREAM of harming another pet.

All suggestions are welcome!! This is a place for all of us. It started as a mental image to help some of us remember to relax, breathe and enjoy each others' support. It's a great place to get acquainted with your inner child - everyone is safe here. There are games and friends to play them with. There are journals that nobody would ever dream of reading. There are phones and friends waiting on the other end to hear from you.

It is a place of healing. And community (I hear hopscotch is THE game this summer). Welcome.

Elphanigh

I will add my cat Thalia to the mix of animals. She is so soft and cuddly. She is the perfect comfort animal when you are hurting, but so playful when you want to play instead. She likes to bask in the sun, so she would belong on the sunny side of this porch. With her tuna treats  :hug:

I would like to camp out on the porch today if anyone wants to join me. I need a blanket of comfort and peace today. Them maybe a bit of Hopscotch or beach time for my inner child.

Thank you again Wife#2 :hug:

Blueberry

wife#2, that's lovely!  :cheer:
Various of us on here have been using the idea of the healing porch, but never in my wildest dreams had I imagined how big and varied the porch is and how many healing properties it encompasses! Just wow!

As soon as I get over my cold, I'll be going paddling in the ocean.  :)

Whenever I do come by, I'll bring my little furry critters and put them in their run on the lawn. They're cute to watch, but they do take a while to get to know other people. I'm also happy to provide any little nibbles out of my own garden, like red and black currants atm.
But I don't think I'll be joining you today, Elphanigh, still too many things to do.

Elphanigh

That's okay Blueberry. We will be on the porch together at some point. Honestly the time alone isn't so bad :) I just needed the warmth this morning, before I could get back up and going

sanmagic7

wife2, this is amazing, you are amazing.  i love this porch and the people on and around it.

i would love to start a garden.  all my attempts in mexico ended badly except for one orange tree, which also ended badly at the last because the kids next door picked all the little oranges and threw them away.  i used to have a garden, and i miss it so.  getting my hands in the dirt, seeing the fruits of my labors when the seeds sprouted, grew, and bore fruit.

because of the magic, i know that i can begin tilling the soil right now without working up a sweat.  i'm planting tomatoes (big and little red and yellow ones), corn, different melons, and broccoli.  that'll do for going on with.  anyone is welcome to add to it. 

gardening has always been grounding for me, so i'd also like to plant flowers around the porch.  some will grow in the shade (lily of the valley, hosta), some in the sun (roses, dahlias, daisies), some will come up first thing in the spring (tulips, daffodils, crocus) and some will last well into fall (asters, mums).  the subtle scents will help soothe us and calm us.

thank you for this, wife2.  it is the perfect place to regroup and re-coup.  i'm in a big ol' rocking chair, just being, watching my gardens grow.

woodsgnome

This reminds me of the peaceful feeling I get from viewing the pic on the home page. You sense the storm, but it's behind, and there's nothing but beautiful natural vistas (and possibilities) in the foreground and beyond.

And so it is with the porch. My white cat Mystic will have some romps with Elphanigh's pal Thalia.

Save at least one rocker for me; I'll need it next week as at the end of this week I'm due for knee replacement surgery and then comes the recuperation--and the porch will be ideal.

Elphanigh

I love that we have this mutual safe place that we can build and accept as ours.

San, I love your gardening idea. Flowers and fresh food makes me super happy.
Woodsgnome, Thalia will be super happy to have a friend

Wife#2

Peanut and Bear - my puppies, had to get a dog run of their own also. They're friendly, but sometimes play with their teeth. When they take to better training, they can come out. Peanut is huge for a puppy, but wants to be a lap dog. Bear likes to lick chins and ears, so careful any who want to hold him and feel his ultra-soft fur.

Yesterday, typing out that first post in this thread helped center me. At home, hubby noticed my being better centered. It was a great evening.

I was 'on' this porch, smiling as I watched the waves lap the sand, San planting her flowers - knees magically comfortable on the dirt. I watched the cats get to know one another and decide each is a cool cat, except when they're basking in the sun near each other. I had been speaking in my heart with Tea and Elphanigh, praying comfort and soul-ease.

I noticed my husband approach. At first, I tensed and San and Candid put their hands on my elbows, calming me. He smiled, waived at everyone and took the stairs in two easy lopes. Instead of just waving me off the porch, he gave a small bow in front of me and extended his hand. I was shocked, flattered and just a little more back in love with him in that moment. When I accepted his offered hand, he whisked me away for the rest of the evening.

Today, I am back on the porch. I'm checking cups and glasses to ensure all are full and fresh. I'm watching a gentle rain fall on the gardens, but not the pets! There's a small rainbow forming near the horizon, maybe a double rainbow! Yes. Today will be a good day.

Any who need hugs, I'm here, offering hugs. The many emotion blankets are fresh from the dryer, still just a little bit warm. I'm wrapped in a contentment blanket today. I'm just absorbing and sending back into the universe wave after wave of health and love and joy.

Candid

Quote from: Wife#2 on July 11, 2017, 02:33:02 PM
San and Candid put their hands on my elbows, calming me.

Glad to have been there to help.  ;D Is there any flexibility on the alcohol rule? I'd like a round of bubbly to celebrate Elphanigh's triumph today.

Elphanigh

Wife2, as always you have such a beautiful post. It is such a wonderful place to think of. I am not there today, but will come back tonight when I get the chance. This girl has to get lots of work done this morning/afternoon. Busy season in my department.

My cat is loving the company and will stay there while I am hard at work. She is there for any warmth and comfort anyone may need. She is the softest tri-color cat I have ever met

Wife#2

Quote from: Candid on July 11, 2017, 02:44:54 PM
  ;D Is there any flexibility on the alcohol rule? I'd like a round of bubbly to celebrate Elphanigh's triumph today.

Ok, yes. I forget that not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic and that a toast for a friend means more with bubbly.

If I stay on the porch and don't drive, I may join you all. It's been so long since I enjoyed any alcohol that even a small glass of champagne is likely to leave me tipsy! Those who enjoy laughing, stick around!

Elphanigh

Oh goodness, Thank you for toasting Champagne in my honor. I will gladly join you for a small toast. You are all so amazing to celebrate me so much

songbirdrosa

:wave:
This seems like a lovely place. I'll bring my two old girls. They're no longer with me in reality, but since this place is magical I'm sure they'll can find a way to hang out. There's Hope, who is a black lab and definitely has 'big dog who thinks she's a lap dog' syndrome. She's very playful and loves everyone, though  she does love to "lick you to death", as my mother would say. Amy is a Maltese, and despite the reputation of her breed, she's a very quiet and sweet little girl. She always knows when you're upset and need a little love, and she'll come sit her head on your knee and cuddle you for as long as you need. She can be a little shy at first, but give her some Weet Bix or peanut butter and she'll be your friend forever! They both like to sit in the shade, so they'll chill in a pen under a tree if anyone wants to say hi to them.

I'd like to make a small food offering, if I may. I used to be a patissier, and I loved to experiment with unusually flavoured cakes. So today, I'm bringing some rose cupcakes with orange blossom buttercream. They're gluten-free and vegan for anyone who needs them to be :)

Candid

Oh, that does it! Both my dogs are coming, too.

Pippy was "mostly poodle" (vet's verdict on a stray) and my Significant Other for nine happy years. Shelley was a maltese and silly as a wheel, hard to adapt to after Pippy's high intelligence but very lovable. Both of them snuggled in bed with me at night.

Rose cupcakes with orange blossom buttercream and glasses of champagne all round!

Wife#2

Count me in!

Candid -  yes! This is our magical Healing Porch. Bring them!

And thank you so much for joining us, Rosa! The cupcakes sound absolutely wonderful! They do sound as if they'll go excellent with a light champagne. You are welcome among us, we look forward to growing friendships with you!