What Do Your EF's Feel Like? Part 2

Started by Kizzie, July 12, 2017, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

I have a few

One is that I collapse inside, can't talk, be near people, make eye contact, just locked in my head. I remember this state, lasts for hours or days.

Another is like Ah, anger at unfairness, threat, bullying of self or others, mine is a quiet rage, in enforcement it is called the danger signs, fixed stare, hands raise to chest level, rapid shallow breathing, unable to hear or talk, it is the hind brain taking over. I have attacked when in that condition but usually the person causing threat moves away. I used to think it was a fight reaction but I think it is actually a defence reaction or interrupted freeze, if the person moves away I go back to freeze, or if i become physical but the other person does not continue fighting me I immediately stop and move away somewhere safer and freeze. Lasts while I perceive direct physical threat, usually lasts minutes at most.

The third one is the most bizarre, I zone out with rapid blinking for up to 40 minutes then snap back with no memory I've been away. Lost time/amnesia.

All of them happen so quickly, in an instant, no warning at all, just...boom!

goth_mike

Mine vary quite a lot, and one "type" can spontaneously turn into another "type".  They vary in severity and duration, and can include any mixture of these:

Physical:
- Racing heart
- Adrenaline release
- Gut problems (won't go into specifics)
- Headaches
- Lethargy
- Cramps
- Feeling like I've been run over by a train

Mental:
- Abject confusion ("Where am I?" thoughts etc)
- Terror
- Feeling irritable and 'jumpy'
- Wishing to retreat and hide
- Only seeing others as 'bad' and too dangerous to approach
- Anxiety
- Depression
- Anger (sometimes rage)
- Self doubt
- Suicidal ideation
- Strong compulsion to drink / take drugs (dulls the effects of a flashback)

It can be hard to remember sometimes that there can be life outside flashback (which much of the time I am slowly trying to reclaim), but recently some symptoms have allowed me to know that a flashback is in progress, specifically wanting to die, and beginning to take steps towards that unsavoury goal.  Also, when I wake up either depressed or confused, I know that worse will shortly follow.  Today, I am in flashback, but luckily on the more mild end.  Right now I have a racing heartbeat, bit f a headache (probably because blood pressure has been through the roof all day), and a very heightened sense of danger and foreboding. It feels like I'm in immediate danger, but running will not dull that sensation.  Hopefully when I get home this evening I can lock the doors and try some self-soothing to try and feel safe again...

blackaltis07

Incredibly accelerated heart rate
Tightness/hot feeling in chest
Rapid breathing
Intense guilt
Intense feelings of being in danger
Intense feeling that I forgot something important
Intense feeling that I am going to be verbally assaulted

More I'm sure but that's all that comes to mind at the moment

secret_agent_x9

My EF feelings:

Trapped
Out of control
Intense anger
Confusion

Unfortunately these seem to happen over very trivial things, and on a daily basis.  Although they do not last long, and I usually do an OK job of hiding them, sometimes I show or say too much.  This can bring on a ton of guilt and shame in the aftermath when I realize it was just me reacting over something really unimportant.

melere

My EFs:

-Intense sadness (to the point of sobbing/screaming)
-Avoiding eye contact
-Acting small, talking in a small voice
-Avoiding help from people/isolating behaviours
-Suicidal urges/self-hate
-Other self-destructive behaviour/urges like wanting to starve myself, purposely not leaving bed in the morning, saying I'll never talking to anyone again even though I want to, etc.
-Rage usually makes an appearance
-Helplessness of such that I'll know what I need to do to get help, or get out of the spiral, but will refuse
-I'll panic if I'm around other people because I don't want them to see/help
-Wanting to run and hide
-My chest gets this weird feeling--kind of like relief but I'm not sure. Just this different kind of tension in a way?

That's all I got for now. I'm sure there are more subtle EFs I have yet to discover.

Healing Finally

This thread is very helpful, so grateful to have my CPTSD confirmed by all these posts.  I relate to them all.

As I gain more awareness of my cptsd, I try to understand my EFs.  There is definitely several kinds, depends on the trigger.  I have been experiencing one lately, the intensity comes and goes; but I haven't been able to shake it yet.

The one trigger that I know all too well is when I feel being taken advantage of.  The "it's not fair" theme starts playing... :dramaqueen:

I feel...
~ deeply sad
~ deeply hurt
~ persecuted
~ blamed
~ injustice
~ incensed
~ misunderstood
~ stuck
~ helpless
~ confused
~ light-headed
~ irritable
~ anxious
~ depressed

which makes me want to...
~ dissociate
~ sleep
~ hide
~ protect myself
~ leave
~ not do anything
~ not take care of myself
~ lash out
~ obsess
~ overthink
~ overreact

And, I won't let anyone be nice to me, as that just makes it worse... :blink:

Basically I I feel like I'm in a fog.  And now I can tell when I've come out of it.  I can see again!  I will all of a sudden realize that I'm present again, and it has passed.

Blueberry

They feel long.

They seem to have different layers, or vary in depth. I can feel a bit EF-y. Or I can be in a full-blown EF. I can be a bit EF-y for days or even weeks. I can exist and go about day-to-day things, but everything's a bit harder than when i've come through the EF.

Blueberry

Mine vary. In the last one the only purpose to life was eating. It feels like a much deeper thing than Flight into addictive behaviour. It's not the first time I've had that either. (We've tried to get behind it in therapy but so far no luck.)

I was also exceedingly irritable, ready to fly off the handle verbally at the slightest provocation.

HallieChristine

Hello everone, I am new here. Sending love, this forum has already helped me a lot ♡
Mine vary but primarily I cannot regulate my temperature, going between feeling like my skin is literally burning off and I run a fever to being so cold to my core that nothing helps.
I end up quite nauseated which usually triggers my emetophobia. I cannot speak or move and my mouth becomes dry and nothing looks familiar. They can last hours and hours.
Again, sending love to u all bc I know this *. We can fight this together ♡♡♡

Luke57

* My inner-critic becomes overly active telling me I'm worthless, no good and that I'll never change ...

* I get hit with anxiety attacks and become afraid to be around others (they'll discover how rotten I am) ...

* I isolate and dissociate, attempting to hide physically and mentally, from my fears ...

* I lose the ability to stay in the present moment and/or to think healthy, positive thoughts ...

* I feel small, alone, and abandoned like I did as a child ...

Before I took advantage of any kind of therapy or recovery programs these feelings would lead me into some very destructive behaviours such as alcohol and drug abuse, dangerous activities or purposely hurting myself. In the present I just try to hang on till they pass. Thankfully the EF's are becoming shorter and less frequent, I agree with the last post by HallieChristine, "We can fight this together." Thanks to all who take part in this forum!

Luke

Meowz

I can't follow conversation - That is far too much
Public transport hand rail? I hold onto it for 'Dear Life'
Trembling left arm - Impossible to stop at times and people are watching
"Can people see what's happening inside of me??? I wish they could".
I need someone to listen and Knows Exactly! What this feels like - Please God send to me

Laura90

HallieChristine,

I also get burning skin sensations and in my eyes. I had it earlier this morning. I know at this point I have to ground. Took me 3 hours but eventually after singing along to a powerful piece of music I felt emotion be allowed to exist.

And now, my skin doesn't feel as hot.

Blueberry

Good going Laura! Keeping going for 3 hours to re-ground  :)  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

a_bunny

I just had one yesterday, so it's fresh in my memory.

• Hysterical crying, lying on floor. Sometimes crying so hard I hyperventilate and can't breathe. The crying can last for hours. <-- Does anyone have this?
  • Pure fury/rage. At myself and the one who triggered it (usually Husband).
  • A swirl of competing thoughts and emotions, like a "stack overflow" if you will.
  • Very difficult to form sentences. Many thoughts, but they all seem "wrong" to vocalize in some way. Sometimes stutter or repeat the same word or phrase over and over.
  • Sometimes a desire to hurt self, and rarely, acting on this desire. It's an internal battle of willpower not to.
  • Sometimes a desire to die.
  • A desire to throw, smash, tear up, or destroy objects, slam doors, etc. and not infrequently, acting on this desire.
  • Sometimes screaming violently.
  • A feeling that I am the most loathsome, horrible, unlovable, unworthy creature, and that I am being rejected by the entire world.
  • My needs feel so big and vast and impossible to fulfill. I desperately want them to be fulfilled, but I feel like I don't deserve to have them be, because they are too big and too unreasonable, and I have absolutely no right to ask that or inflict that upon anybody. I feel horrible for merely having them.
  • I feel like a monster for behaving this way.

Does any of this sound familiar? Particularly the hysterical crying. For some reason, it only recently occurred to me that my set of behaviors could be a psychological phenomenon that happens to others, not only me, and started to educate myself on it. For years, I used to call this a "schema attack," and my understanding was that schema attacks can look quite different from person to person and depending on the schema. I only just learned the term "EF" yesterday! And still learning more about it. Maybe it would help me feel a little less alien/monster if I knew that others had similar behavior. Thanks for this thread.

Boatsetsailrose

Truly awful and terrifying to sum it up..
I feel i cant cope and my brain is racing so fast. Thoughts stream one after the other so fast i can't process.
Mental fog and retaining information is really difficult.
Racing heart and breathing
Fear and terror
Shaking hands
Self harm and suicidal thinking
Self hatred
Obsessive thoughts of what i need to attend to in my life - perfectionist thinking which makes me feel more out of control.
Thoughts of 'i don't know who i am'
Dreaming and waking early
High social problems really hard to interact with others
Severe feelings of shame
Feeling very lonely and cut off
Feeling like im my m and even seeing i look like her (which i don't
Feelings of detachment
Exhaustion
Heavy body