A Good Therapist?

Started by Dragiow9927, July 15, 2017, 08:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragiow9927

I just saw a new therapist.  My previous therapist had a perception of me and 'knew' what was the cause of my issues, which was entirely false.  I went back to her a few months after I stopped seeing her on a regular basis and told her about my panic around my FOO.  She told me that it was normal and that all teenagers want to avoid their 'family'.  I did not seek the help of another therapist until I had an extreme panic attack...my 'little brother' was the cause.

Besides the point.  My mother's teacher's brother is a psychologist and he was recommended to her.  I saw him a couple days ago...he is qwerky.  His office is very home-y, in that it is a representation of his personality.  I was used to going into an office room and be very anxious.  I had almost no anxiety when I saw him.  It was strange.  I have never been in the company of someone who didn't give me extreme anxiety the first time I meet them.

I told him about my panic attacks and he validated them.  He understood I have an understanding of my situation and didn't put me into a box of 'gifted' or 'intelligent'.  His explanations were very philosophical and he talked very frank about the world and didn't sugar-coat anything.

I didn't have to explain everything.  I didn't have to explain how I feel in the classroom or how I feel in society, and when I did have to explain something he didn't try to jump in.  I need a minute to formulate my thoughts or find the right words.  I am used to the psychiatrist trying to explain it themselves and end the silence, but he allowed me to sit in silence for as long as I needed.  He did the same, he sat for a minute formulating his thoughts.

It's strange.  It's the first time I have been put in the company of someone like-minded.  Someone I share my world with.  It's really strange.  I can't explain it to anyone around me, because the people I am around do not share my world.  I know I can't explain my world to those who aren't a part of it, but I am constantly surrounded by those who are unable to understand.  He told me I need to find the society I am a part of...I hate that I am being so held back by my age.

I can't share this insight with anyone around me because they do not belong to my society and do not understand my experience of finally finding someone who is a part of it.  It feels so weird to not feel weird around someone.  I think that with time, with him, I could actually improve my life.

Kizzie

That's wonderful Dragiow  :thumbup:  It sounds much the same as how I feel here, I get OOTS members and they me.  It's a lovely feeling  :yes:

Three Roses

How lovely, Dragiow! Truly a gift. I'm so happy you've found someone you "click" with like that, great news!  :cheer:

writetolife

I'm so happy for you!  It sounds like a therapist-client relationship that can be built and that you can learn to trust.