Ever Triggered Yourself to an EF?

Started by movementforthebetter, July 24, 2017, 03:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

movementforthebetter

Hi all,

Had a rough day last week in which I became very upset and was unable to calm myself using grounding techniques. Every time I started to quiet a thought would pop in and then the tears would be leaking out again. This lasted about three hours. It occurred to me that I was triggering, perpetuating or repeating an emotional flashback just by thinking of the situation I was in. I can't see much way around it except that some days are better and grounding or meditating actually work on those days. This particular day, my stress levels were higher than normal and thought-stopping wasn't possible as I was already too far gone.

Wondering if anyone else can relate?

woodsgnome

Yes, mftb, I've fallen into this pattern, sometimes just by anticipating that there 'might' be a problem and sure enough, it materializes and then is hard to wriggle out of. It takes way more than "oh shucks" to correct setting up one's own false expectations. Yet another example of the grit it takes to stay the course on so much of this.

Even when certain techniques like meditation don't seem to be producing a desired result, perhaps just being in a more meditative mode, without regard to outcomes, helps at least on the calming side of things.

Dee

I've done that too.  It can just spiral out of control.  The more I think about it, the more it spirals.  I have had to call a therapist to calm down.  The only thing I can do is try to stop it early.  I have tried to learn the very first signs that I am starting to go so I can catch it fast. 

Elphanigh

Reading that was powerful for me. I hadn't realized that before. I knew I spiraled but I can relate here. I do that too, I just had never recognized it as an EF as much as just a really terrible spiral. I have been thinking on this today and realize that is what happens though. Thank you so much for sharing.

Best thing I can do for myself when it happens is to try to catch it early. It is hard to come back from if it spins too long.

sanmagic7

yes, i can relate.  one thought will lead to another, the tears come as do more thoughts.  the best i can do is distract myself.  i watch a lot of sitcom reruns.  even so, sometimes they will trigger me also.  it's just a horrible place to be.