Sleep and Cptsd

Started by Annarae12, July 25, 2017, 04:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annarae12

Lately i havent been sleeping. Idk how to explain it but its almost like im too scared to sleep. I panic anytime its bed time lately and experience strong depersonalization and derealization during these episodes. Does this happen to anyone else? If so do you know why?

Three Roses

This sounds like you are being triggered by something that's throwing your body and brain into an emotional flashback.   

Take a look at this info and see if it is applicable -
QuoteSymptoms of CPTSD:

1) Emotional flashbacks – unlike ordinary flashbacks, emotional flashbacks frequently occur without any visual content. Instead, they can be seen as regressions to the experience of intense psychological pain associated with being an abused, neglected or abandoned child.

Often, such flashbacks will entail the experiencing of extreme fear, resulting in hyperarousal of the sympathetic nervous system and triggering of the 'fight or flight' response.

Other emotions which may accompany such flashbacks include a feeling of utter powerlessness, hopelessness, helplessness, shame and despair.

You can read more at http://pete-walker.com

sanmagic7

i can relate, annarae.  i don't always have an easy time going to sleep, and i haven't been able to pinpoint the reason, either.   this has been going on for a long time.  it doesn't happen every night, but at the times when it's there, i'm very aware. 

nothing here to help you with.  just wanted to let you know you were heard and you're not alone.  hugs to you.

Annarae12

Thank you Three Roses, an emotional flashback would probably make sense. Thanks so much for the help this gives me a little peace. And Sanmagic7 thank you for replying knowing others feel this makes me feel less insane so i appreciate it. I hope you find peace of mind soon and dont struggle with this for long. ❤

sigiriuk

I get this too. It's pretty terrible, and sometimes i get leg twitches which are uncontrollable.
Nightime is always a struggle.
Slim

sanmagic7

slim, you may have restless legs syndrome.  i was diagnosed with it over 20 yrs. ago.  did a sleep study overnite at a clinic, got a low dose of klonopin that helps quiet the brain messages to your legs.   it made all the difference in that area of sleep problems.  you might want to talk to your doc about it.

that was also my first suspicion that something had happened to my brain for it to be sending out faulty nerve signals.   i hope you're able to find some relief.   big hug.

Mayumi

I get this too. I tend to find that guided meditations like yoga nidra tend to help.

Blueberry

I can participate in yoga nidra now, but I used not to be able to. I got flashbacks and had to break off, sit up etc. Now it might work out OK or I might have to lie on my side instead of on my back, and probably keep my eyes open.

Just saying, not all aspects of yoga are good for all of us all the time.

I sometimes avoid going to sleep because I haven't allowed myself to do what I really wanted all day. So I catch up at night, if that makes sense. No, not really. But there you go, a self-denier is what I am. Better today though.

I used to be too frightened to fall asleep because I didn't know what would all come as nightmares. But that's gone now.