Had a memory come up *Trigger warning*

Started by LittleBird, August 19, 2017, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBird

sorry - deleted

Three Roses

This is an okay place to put this thread. :yes:

That's like how memories started to come back to me, too. Fuzzy and unclear, like something slowly being unearthed. If you want to continue reclaiming this memory, I strongly suggest doing so with a therapist, as doing this alone can cause further traumatic injury. Best of luck, big hugs to you! :hug:

Kat

I imagine this is a very disorienting experience.  Hopefully, you'll be able to ground yourself and remind yourself of where you are in space and time.  This kind of remembering is so disturbing and confusing.  You're not the only one to experience it, and for that I'm really sorry.

As Three Roses said, please seek the assistance of a therapist.  Not one of us can do this alone.  We need others to help us.

Your story reminds me of making a new friend in third grade.  She was new to the school and had moved in up the street from me.  She invited me over after school one day.  As we walked to her house, she picked up cigarette butts to "smoke later."  When we got to her house, she poured herself a small glass of red wine.  I remember she used a small juice glass with painted orange blossoms on it.  After this, she led me into the basement.  The houses in our area didn't normally have basements because of the water table and whatnot.  This was exciting.  The stairs leading to the basement were carpeted.  The whole basement was carpeted.  Since they'd recently moved in, there were still unpacked boxes stacked up.  The girl ran up the stairs and locked me in the basement.  The light switch was on the outside of the door, so she shut it off.  I don't recall how long she had me trapped down there.  I know her mom came home and we pretended nothing had happened. 

I remember walking home in a stupor, completely confused.  When I got home, I was greeted by one of my sisters and a dog she'd found.  The dog was blind and deaf.  I was surprised and thrilled that my mom said we could keep it.  That took all my thoughts off of what had happened.  To this day, I still disbelieve my memory.

Dee

Your post really was okay to post.  Put the appropriate TW (you did) and don't over think it.

I"ve been having memory issues lately.  I get different types.  Some I get the entire memory, others I get a beginning, other's are just flashes.  Sometimes memories feel like death.  However, I know I can now process them and work through it.  Sometimes they explain some of my fears.

I often write my therapist letters of what is going on and drop it off between sessions.  I do it to get it out and send it away.  I also do it so we can address it at my next session.

I am glad you are going to see a counselor.  It's hards to not be nervous, just know that everyone is at first.  That's okay.