Psychoactives and Recovery

Started by stevethedge, August 26, 2017, 06:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevethedge

One of my most difficult symptoms is addiction. Whatever the addiction, I always seem to find myself in an unhealthy relationship with whatever it happens to be.

Which brings me to the subject of psychoactives. There's a lot of talk about their potential for healing and recovery, however come with the obvious pitfalls (questionable legal status, mind altering effects, difficulty verifying dose). I have quite some experience with taking all sorts of things recreationally, but not so much with therapy in mind.

I'm just at the beginning of a trial with xx, and have done quite some reading on the subject, however all the information seems to boil down to some hearsay. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will post my progress.

Rainagain

Hi Stevethedge,
'I always seem to find myself in an unhealthy relationship with whatever it happens to be'

'I am just at the beginning of a microdosing trial with xx'

Steve, is this the right thing to do as part of your recovery?

Addiction and self medication can be a part of CPTSD, at a recent assessment my psychiatrist seemed almost surprised I was only addicted to tobacco.

Look after yourself.

Three Roses

Hi Steve, don't think I've welcomed you yet so welcome!

As Rainagain said, it's really common for us to self medicate with anything that helps relieve the awful symptoms of CPTSD. But this forum is not for the discussion of illegal substances, and I will voice the opinion that they are most definitely the wrong way to pursue healing.

That being said, I have heard of research being done into new medications for CPTSD, and if hallucinogens are found to be safe and effective, I'm all for them. (I'm no stranger to illegal drug use. Decades ago.)

Lingurine

Welcome Stevethedge, I agree with Three Roses, in stead of discussing illegal substances, it might be an idea to discuss how others do well by taking antidepressants or prescribed mild anti anxiety medication, as a solution to their problems.

Sometimes it helps to talk about underlaying problems, with friends or a therapist. We sometimes forget how devastating we feel after abuse, even a long time after the abuse occurred.

Take care.

Lingurine

Three Roses

Whoops! Bit red-faced here :blush:

There actually is a place in this forum where we can discuss illegal substances. http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=185.0