Some Art Sharing

Started by AphoticAtramentous, August 30, 2017, 12:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

I really like the warm glow from the fireplace in the first picture. But then I see the faces of the two sitting in the room and wonder if I'm misiinterpreting something. Becuase they don't look very happy.

Kizzie

It's beautiful work Aphotic, I especially like the way you capture light and darkness - I find it very evocative.   :yes:

I watched a piece on the news the other night about aid workers in the Syrian refugee camps who been using art therapy to help children express the trauma they have been through.  Incredibly difficult to watch and yet somewhat hopeful in that many seem to be responding to being able to draw about what they've been through.  It's one reason I asked about whether you relate your art to CPTSD, although I know the being creative part is therapeutic in and of itself. 

I also watched another piece on a grassroots organization here in Canada for veterans (called VETS Canada) who are struggling with PTSD (and I suspect CPTSD), many homeless. In addition to other supports it provides many of the vets with gently used guitars and forms music groups for them to come to learn how to play and make music together.  It has been an unqualified success.  It's the power of expression of self in a community of friends/peers that seems to be healing. 

So keep on bringing your art to share with us (and if anyone else has some to share, please do!)

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: Blueberry on October 21, 2017, 02:17:56 PM
I really like the warm glow from the fireplace in the first picture. But then I see the faces of the two sitting in the room and wonder if I'm misiinterpreting something. Becuase they don't look very happy.
Thanks, Blueberry! :)
That room was something I drew a while ago, I think it's symbolic of that 'emptiness' I can occasionally feel. Where everything on the outside may be warm and content, but I still feel raw and down inside. And in those kind of moments I want nothing more than someone beside me to talk to, or just keep me company. ^^

Quote from: Kizzie on October 21, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
It's beautiful work Aphotic, I especially like the way you capture light and darkness - I find it very evocative.   :yes:

I watched a piece on the news the other night about aid workers in the Syrian refugee camps who been using art therapy to help children express the trauma they have been through.  Incredibly difficult to watch and yet somewhat hopeful in that many seem to be responding to being able to draw about what they've been through.  It's one reason I asked about whether you relate your art to CPTSD, although I know the being creative part is therapeutic in and of itself. 

I also watched another piece on a grassroots organization here in Canada for veterans (called VETS Canada) who are struggling with PTSD (and I suspect CPTSD), many homeless. In addition to other supports it provides many of the vets with gently used guitars and forms music groups for them to come to learn how to play and make music together.  It has been an unqualified success.  It's the power of expression of self in a community of friends/peers that seems to be healing. 

So keep on bringing your art to share with us (and if anyone else has some to share, please do!)
Thank you Kizzie. :) The reply is much appreciated.
There has been a few drawings I've done that relate to my past events/CPTSD. Though I'm hesitant to post them here because I'm afraid they'll be rather triggering for some. >.> If I do post one of them, I'll write a trigger warning and provide a link to the artwork rather than posting it directly as a viewable image on the forum page. That should help I think.
But yeah, creative hobbies can be so very soothing, drawing, playing guitar, playing the piano... whatever works best for you. :)

rbswan

Your Art is so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing and please keep sharing.  I just found your work and it is amazing.  I think I'm one of those people who were born to appreciate art rather than produce it I think.  I wish I could draw or paint what is in my dreams sometimes.

Kizzie

QuoteThere has been a few drawings I've done that relate to my past events/CPTSD. Though I'm hesitant to post them here because I'm afraid they'll be rather triggering for some. >.> If I do post one of them, I'll write a trigger warning and provide a link to the artwork rather than posting it directly as a viewable image on the forum page. That should help I think.

Good point!   :thumbup: to the link idea.

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: rbswan on October 22, 2017, 12:56:15 AM
Your Art is so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing and please keep sharing.  I just found your work and it is amazing.  I think I'm one of those people who were born to appreciate art rather than produce it I think.  I wish I could draw or paint what is in my dreams sometimes.
^-^ Thank you so much, rbswan. It means a lot.
And in my unpopular opinion, I think it can be a very good thing to be able to just appreciate art like that. As soon as you become an artist, every piece of art you see you start to look at it from a technical standpoint. Like, "how have they drawn the lineart?", "what is the anatomy like?", all that kind of stuff. It gets old. :P Would be nice to look at others' art and see it as it is, rather than having the urge to study it.

Quote from: Kizzie on October 22, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
Good point!   :thumbup: to the link idea.
:thumbup:

I went looking through my old art work, specifically looking for any trauma related pieces. I did find this one, drawn on December the 31st 2015, so... that would have been around the time I got engaged.
Trigger Warning - Dark Theme/Low Detailed Blood
https://i.imgur.com/rnKIkOU.png
I think, my drawings help me to remember what was going on at the time. For this one, I think I just wanted to draw myself, how I felt... after I had sat in a car park in the middle of the night alone. It was kind of stupid and reckless to do. But even being out in the snow felt better than being with my abuser.

There's also this one, just wanting to visually describe how it feels to be hopeless or empty.
Trigger Warning - Water/Sui
http://i.imgur.com/tECx9xO.png

Kizzie

I couldn't quite make out the first one, but the second one was quite evocative (not triggering).  Throughout my life I often felt like I was just heading my head above water and then when would have the sensation of sinking below the surface when triggered or depression rose up. 

Anyway I really do appreciate how you work with light and darkness  :thumbup:  If you're ever so inclined, a piece in which the character is caught in dark, rough water to convey having CPTSD or an EF might be interesting. Just a thought.  ;D

Sceal

Your second one is similar to one I painted in acryllics, or rather it's the same theme. It's funny, because I was thinking about that one earlier today :D

Keep up the good work

rbswan

More beautiful, powerful work.  You are very talented and your work speaks to me.  Thank you again for sharing!