Any un-related to C-PTSD phobias?

Started by AphoticAtramentous, August 30, 2017, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AphoticAtramentous

Preferably non-related to C-PTSD if that's okay. We talk about our C-PTSD fears enough in the other threads. lol But yeah, everyone has their phobias, completely healthy people still have their strange fears, so I guess why not share our own. ^-^

For me, my strange little phobia is Kabourophobia, which is a fear of crabs. It's oddly specific I know XD
Every time I see one it gives me the shivers. Some guy threw a crab at me once and I screamed so loudly I swear some people around heard and were gonna call the police lmao. It was scary at the time but it's funny to think about when it's not happening.
They're just... little walking devils, I swear. They hide in the sand and grab your toes when you least expect it. >.> Or at least, I fear they'll do that. Last time I encountered crabs I was going kayaking. There was a good patch of sand and crabs between me and the kayak and I refused to walk so I got someone to carry me to the kayak. ;D

Candid

I suspect I have a number of phobias I've not even aware of, if that makes sense.  I find myself odd.  However, I'm sure all mine would be traceable to CPTSD.

Your crab story made me laugh.  Thanks for that.

Blueberry

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: Candid on August 30, 2017, 01:49:57 PM
Your crab story made me laugh.  Thanks for that.
I'm glad. :) I try to be funny.

Candid

Me too.  It's a great asset and stress reliever for people who have any kind of unbearable inner unpleasantness.

I just have to be aware that on a bad day my 'jokes' can be offensive.  IOW, if I'm in an angry phase my 'humour' can have an edge to it; how to lose friends and alienate people.  Those days it's best for me to go back to bed and have a think about it.

songbirdrosa

I'm just going to revive this little thread because I have a weirdly specific phobia too, so much so that as far as I'm aware it doesn't even have a name.

Splinters. More so, the idea that if I get one, I won't be able to get it out and it'll just stay there. I freak out if I have a splinter and it's caused a panic attack more than once. I don't know why, and it makes no logical sense to me, but for some reason I just can't deal with it.

I'm pretty terrified of heights as well, and I've had that for as long as I can remember. Basically all of the others are related to my anxiety or trauma in some way.

AphoticAtramentous

Very specific yes but understandable! Splinters are nasty and yeah, the thought of them being stuck... (shiver) Oof.

Wife#2

Thanks for reviving this thread!

Mine isn't related to cPTSD, but, water in my nose. Eyes, fine. Mouth, sure. But nose..... been like that since I was a child. It made tub time and trying to learn how to swim a challenge.

Learning to dive off the side of the pool was a super challenge, but I set it up as my goal one summer. I was staying with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins. Every chance I got to be at a pool, I was jumping in (holding nose tight, of course!!). I knew I was supposed to put my arms above my head, but could only manage one. I tried every way I could. Aunt tried to help, but gave up when she saw she was losing the two arms up battle. Finally, I did it. Both arms up, curve over and jump. Into the water I went, I arched so I could aim back up at the top of the water and that precious air. IT WORKED! I DOVE INTO THE WATER! I didn't drown! I was so happy as I brushed the water off my face and looked for Aunt. Who had missed the whole thing by reading a book at pool-side. The cousins weren't there to see it. Not even Uncle was there. Nobody saw my triumph. Which was a darn shame, because I was pretty sure I was never, ever going to repeat THAT again! And, that summer, I didn't.

I still shiver at the thought of water in my nose. It makes showers real interesting, but as long as I'm careful, it's manageable. Just, please, don't invite me to any pool parties, ok?  ;D

Gromit

I didn't realise my crab phobia had a name. I am also afraid of spiders, I thought they were similar creatures so thought it could be connected.

caroline

I found out i was scared of heights while i was 165ft up...did the charity absail but will never do it again!! 

Sceal

Mine is also oddly spesific. And a little embarrassing, because it makes no sense at all.

However, I am terrified of blue whales.  Yup. A creature that I will in all likelyhood NEVER run into. I can't stand them.
Their song. Their "Teeth". I can't be in the Natural History museum my city because it has a HUGE blue whale sceleton hanging from the ceiling, with their stupid song blasting through their biggest room.
It's terrifying. I can't even look at pictures. Everytime I see that's whats coming up on the screen I turn away, walk/run out...

bogan

The stick from an icecream, gives me the shivers, cant touch it at all or even see someone else licking it.

kdke

Sometimes I get a deep-down "this won't happen but I can't help but feel this way" fear that gravity is just going to stop and I'll be thrown into the air. It's so weird and it's one of the reasons why I can have a hard time looking up at the sky.  :stars:

briasmith12

Phew. I'm glad I'm not in this boat alone.  :wave:

Heights--absolute phobia. Going to the Grand Canyon was miserable and glorious all at the same time. Can't do Ferris wheels.
In tandem with heights, water. Even pools. Any water where I can't touch the bottom. Sends a shiver up my spine. AND I can swim extremely well and have since I was a kid.
And, lastly, ants. There's another oddly specific one for you guys. But, I kind of have a reason. I was attacked by a fire ant colony visiting bio dad one summer, and have been terrified ever since.

Kdke, I feel the same way about gravity/the universe. If I go stargazing and get too engrossed, I think I can actually feel the Earth moving and spinning in the galaxy, in the universe, and I freak out a little.  :aaauuugh: