Veterans with C-PTSD

Started by Sissysunshine, July 07, 2017, 12:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sissysunshine

Curious on how many of you are veterans either of combat or MST?  I have complex PTSD, GAD, Insomnia, agoraphobia, anorexia nervousa, Social anxiety just to name a few lol... I go to group therapy twice a week and one on one once a week.  Several months ago I completed a 6 week inpatient program at a Veterans Administrative Hospital.  I guess I am curious on how many of you deal with VA, What has been your results?  Do you feel like you are getting enough support?  I attend a Vet Center for all my groups and therapy as the VA hospitals are understaffed and it is 3-6 months between therapy and medical appointments. 

Dee

I'm with you!  I am a vet with CPTSD, MST, and anorexia along with a few other ones.  I have a small VA and I do not attend any groups.  They are totally unprepared to deal with anorexia.  I do have an outstanding therapist and psychiatrist for which I am really grateful for.  They did use choice to send me to a two month inpatient trauma program that really, really helped.  There are not any VA inpatient programs in my region.  For me medical sucks, mental health is good.

freida

Been there.  Done that.  I'm pretty happy with the VA. I'm doing EMDR there once a week but it did take a couple months to get in.  They talked inpatient at one time but I have major issues with locked doors so that was a no go.   And yippee! I can actually tell her I posted a response lol

Andyman73

Andyman73

I haven't been diagnosed with cptsd only because they didn't check for it. Same for ptsd. Only got that after filing a claim for it. Did dx me with what the VA calls Major Depression, two and a half years ago. My t there is aware of my ongoing dv abuse from my wife. He didn't want to evaluate me to get a better idea of the big picture. I let it go at that because my personal experience with the VA has been very negative.  They seem quite happy to treat me for various ailments without a proper diagnosis.  Seems serving my country isn't enough to get honest and fair treatment from them.  One would think 20 plus years of dv abuse on top of multiple counts of MST would warrant a cptsd dx. 

They don't know about what happened before, and I won't tell them. Why risk losing benefits by giving them cause to declare my ptsd a pre-existing condition and denying my claim? Or overturning it.

Dee

They didn't check for ptsd when I came into the military.  They said that I have ptsd permanently exasperated by the military.  I was honest about everything so I could get help.  It didn't hurt me.  For my award it is ptsd, in my records and for my therapist it is ptsd-complex.

I hear more bad things about the VA then good.  I feel lucky to have my VA.

Andyman73

Dee, I am one that could go either way with my VA, I tolerate them because I have no real alternative. Glad you like yours. I know there are good ones out there. And....thank you for your service.

Dee