Up and down week

• 7 Replies

Spencer

• View Profile
Up and down week
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
 Hi I am new here and just beginning my road to recovery. I'm curious to know if the emotional ups and downs ever level out or is it something that you have to live with? 

Blueberry

• Baby steps count!
    • View Profile
Re: Up and down week
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
IME the really deep downs come less often and don't last as long.

Eyessoblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
In my experience they seem to go on forever- unfortunately one day Iím coping ok but the next I feel like I need to be scraped up from the floor, I think itís just about finding ways to manage this, I had Cbt but have to say it was a waste of time (for me) I know of others that it works for though.  Welcome here though Iím sure youíll find youíll get a lot of support here.

Spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:40:35 PM »
Thank you :) I don't have the resources for therapy at the moment and only a few people I can confide in. Just trying to give myself a framework to work within as I heal.

JamesG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
dang it, just wrote a long summary of my experiences and lost the lot!

will write it again later when I stop swearing.

JayDubs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
Thank you :) I don't have the resources for therapy at the moment and only a few people I can confide in. Just trying to give myself a framework to work within as I heal.

I am not qualified to suggest what to do or how to go about it so take this all with a grain of salt.  I am in a similar boat so to speak and am thinking of solutions for myself.    The place you live is a factor as to what may be out there.  There may be public counseling, if there are any addictions in your past with you or someone close to you then maybe 12-step type meetings may be a good place to sit back and listen.  Religious?   There may be some avenues for support in that direction.   Not necessarily therapy with either of those.   Just avenues for support.   Google for meetings in your area..or check meetup.com.  If you live in a small town then all of the above may be out.  Therapy is a different ballgame though.

JamesG's response had me rolling!

Spencer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
Thanks for the meetup.com tip. I completely forgot about that site :)

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
hey, spencer.  a warm welcome to you.

i think that as we continue in recovery, we're going to find more emotional stuff than we knew was there.  for me, every time something new pops up, i go thru the ups and downs.  as i've kept going, some of the stuff that has been mostly resolved gives me less emotional distress.

the one constant that has helped me deal with whatever comes along has been this forum.  the support, encouragement, caring, and concern i've found here has definitely helped me get thru the downs a lot easier.  i haven't had a therapist for most of the time, either, but i've received lots of tips here that have helped me heal at least parts of what i'm dealing with.

best to you, and sending you a hug filled with warmth and welcoming to this group.