child hyper diagnosing

Started by silentrhino, September 26, 2017, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentrhino

so I just made up a phrase here but thought I'd throw it out there for you lovelies anyway.  has anyone else noticed the prevalence these days of parents standing about a stones throw from their young child and talking to other parents about how their child is A) ADD B)ADHD C)ASD or D) insert diagnosis here.  I don't understand it.  I was walking my nephew to the grammar school yesterday and came upon a gathering of mums with their kids around just randomly diagnosing their kids. I wonder what the kids are thinking surely they can hear all this.

Sceal

I know that in the states it's happened that parents have more or less demanded that the doc gives their child an ADHD diagnosis so they can give them the medication to calm their children down. It's despicable, if you ask me. Children are full of energy because they are children, and are exploring and figuring things out and are forced to keep their energy levels in check during class. No wonder they get restless!
Where I live it's a bit more difficult to get the diagnosis, you need psychiatrist and not a GP, and extensive testing. But evenso, it does feel like there's a bunch of diagnosises flying about everywhere. Not just for kids, but for grown ups too. It's weird, because here society says that you're lazy and unworthy if you're not perfect. Even staying at home with a fever will categorize you as weak. As if being sick means you're weak... But at the same time people keep talking about their new diagnoses'. Or maybe they just keep telling me because they know I've worked in the health care...  :Idunno:

It might also be true though, that they do have the diagnoses. That it's just become more acceptible to talk about it. It's confusing.
I don't mean to be judgemental, or to question others on their health.
I just know a fair amount of people who says they're depressed if they've had two-three days where they didn't feel amazing. I don't like the misuse of the termonology, it simply just tells me they don't understand what it means to be depressed.
Sorry! I'm going off on a tangent here.