Coloured lights research on depression and other mental illnesses

Started by Sceal, November 19, 2017, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

I came across a study a few months ago (alas, not in English) that was about how orange light affects people with Borderline PD.
It talks about how the orange light during the evening and night instead of the regular blue light that comes off from TV, computer, mobile phones and most lightbulbs has an effect on sleep. Especially for those with borderline PD during their manic phases they struggle with sleep, and they were testing out whether orange light would have an effect on them and ultimatedly be able to make them use less drugs. It seems to be a promising study.

But what is more interessting to me, and maybe to you guys, is that they are now doing a different study in regards to orange light and depression. Many of us here suffer from depression in periods alongside our cPTSD. And there is hope that orange light might be a help to prevent/lessen the depression and also improve sleep. ( I mean, I bet we've all heard "don't watch tv, be on the pc or use your phone the last hour before bedtime", and let's be real... how many of us actually follows this rule? Few.)

I was trying to find a link to an english article about it. But suddenly there were bunch of research on all sorts of coloured lights. Blue, Green, Yellow and Orange for different purposes. And I got lost in the sea. It's also past my bedtime here...  :bigwink: But I was thinking of you guys and thought maybe some of you would like to look into to it.

P.S I know there's a thread about SAD and I found one article regarding coloured light and SAD. I haven't properly read it though, but thought I'd share it anyway:   http://www.sad.org.uk/effective-orange-light-treating-sad/

AphoticAtramentous

Interesting to think about. :) I find orange light quite calming and atmospheric. My new bedside lamp has an orange bulb so I have that on for an hour or so before I go to bed. I wonder if that's been a factor in my good mood at all lately... possibly has, wouldn't be surprising.