My Day for Celebration

• 4 Replies

Contessa

• View Profile
My Day for Celebration
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi All,

I forgot all about writing this up, wasn't in my thoughts. Which is good really. But I wanted to share the idea that last week I had an anniversary. A bad one. One year to the day after it happened, I was a mess. Each minute of that day was excruciatingly long, and the gut wrenching, brain ticking was not ever going to abate. But I did have a friend or two lined up to mark the day as something different.

Several years have past. But after that first year, I decided that I was taking that day back. I was going to be a positive day. If that day is forever marked as "that day", I can use it to recall the many other day's i've had in between. A day to stop, take note of where I was, and see how far I had come. Just take a minute to do it. And I've got several friends in on it too. It was hard, because it was unfortunately still a very negative day for several years with subsequent traumas overshadowing the good.  But I think it is finally turning into a good day.

It seems to work for what actually happened that day. I wouldn't do it for some other things, and have never though of it for them. But it's tremendously empowering for this. It was the first day of the next several years of * for me. It's nice to be able to mark it differently.

If this is a useful idea for anyone else, maybe think about giving it a go if appropriate.

Sceal

• View Profile
Re: My Day for Celebration
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
Wow! I was JUST thinking about that today.
That reclaiming the Bad-Anniversary days must be a powerful tool in the long run. Personally I generally don't remember the actual dates for anything. So for me it wouldn't really work, but that's okay. :)

Contessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »
That's okay. It doesn't really have to be a day at all. I think at its core it is, perhaps, some ritual or marker, to take back the power.

I don't actually call it an anniversary. It's got a whole new celebratory name. Some friends know what it means, others only know it as a celebration. Some observe it for me, others i've shared the premise with to observe for themselves.

Just an idea.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »
Personally I generally don't remember the actual dates for anything. So for me it wouldn't really work, but that's okay. :)
Haha, same here. My forgetfulness isn't all that bad apparently.

But it's good to hear you're 'taking back the day' Contessa. :) It's quite inspiring.

Sceal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
It is a very good idea! Thank you for sharing.  I think I will look into how I can do  something similar. 😊