My Day for Celebration

• 4 Replies

Contessa

• View Profile
My Day for Celebration
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi All,

I forgot all about writing this up, wasn't in my thoughts. Which is good really. But I wanted to share the idea that last week I had an anniversary. A bad one. One year to the day after it happened, I was a mess. Each minute of that day was excruciatingly long, and the gut wrenching, brain ticking was not ever going to abate. But I did have a friend or two lined up to mark the day as something different.

Several years have past. But after that first year, I decided that I was taking that day back. I was going to be a positive day. If that day is forever marked as "that day", I can use it to recall the many other day's i've had in between. A day to stop, take note of where I was, and see how far I had come. Just take a minute to do it. And I've got several friends in on it too. It was hard, because it was unfortunately still a very negative day for several years with subsequent traumas overshadowing the good.  But I think it is finally turning into a good day.

It seems to work for what actually happened that day. I wouldn't do it for some other things, and have never though of it for them. But it's tremendously empowering for this. It was the first day of the next several years of hell for me. It's nice to be able to mark it differently.

If this is a useful idea for anyone else, maybe think about giving it a go if appropriate.

Sceal

• View Profile
Re: My Day for Celebration
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
Wow! I was JUST thinking about that today.
That reclaiming the Bad-Anniversary days must be a powerful tool in the long run. Personally I generally don't remember the actual dates for anything. So for me it wouldn't really work, but that's okay. :)

Contessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »
That's okay. It doesn't really have to be a day at all. I think at its core it is, perhaps, some ritual or marker, to take back the power.

I don't actually call it an anniversary. It's got a whole new celebratory name. Some friends know what it means, others only know it as a celebration. Some observe it for me, others i've shared the premise with to observe for themselves.

Just an idea.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »
Personally I generally don't remember the actual dates for anything. So for me it wouldn't really work, but that's okay. :)
Haha, same here. My forgetfulness isn't all that bad apparently.

But it's good to hear you're 'taking back the day' Contessa. :) It's quite inspiring.

Sceal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
It is a very good idea! Thank you for sharing.  I think I will look into how I can do  something similar. 😊