Today I unfollowed my brother on FB...

Started by barbidoll, October 03, 2017, 04:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbidoll

So yesterday I confided in my brother all the things that I have been feeling.  I put myself out there, which is not easy for me to do because I worry that anything I do can be used against me as far as my kids.  That is a whole other long, traumatic story of my life. Anyway I went on FB this morning and am scrolling down and I see has commented on something saying, "Liberalism is a mental disorder."  This isn't the first time he has triggered my anger either.  Okay my brain is farting on what he has actually said othet times which seems to be my m.o. when something invokes strong, negative emotions in me. I just couldn't deal so I unfollowed him.  If I hadn't I might have ended up cussing my brother out on FB I was that pissed.   I am kind of feeling like my brother has aligned with that emotionally abusive mentality.  Maybe he hasn't but he seems to love bringing up being emotional in a debate.  There was something else he said another time to our sister that disturbed me so deeply because he knows what we all went through.   I can't remember what it is but usually I will not call someone out but it bothered me so much that actually told him it really bothered me that he would say that. Not that I think he cares what me or our sisters think unless it aligns with what he believes. Hmm...sounds like my exes. 
   So I unfollowed my brother because it is at least one small way to protect myself from that negativity. Maybe I am being too harsh? I don't know because I am not really sure what I am entitled to be outraged about.   I have always given my compassion and sympathy to those who have hurt me.  I don't want to anymore.  I don't want to be understanding of why this person violated me, or this person left me feeling so depressed I couldn't even find the will to go to class, or why this person made my kid feel like she was unwanted by you, your spouse and her brother over child support or why you feel the need to call me names and threaten me. I don't want to open myself up anymore to the millions of ways men have torn me down.  So yeah maybe it is harsh but at some point I should be allowed to say, "No, that is wrong and I am not going to lay down for it anymore."  I wish I always felt that strong but at least no one can call the cops or cps on me for unfollowing my brother or threaten to. 

P.S. Excuse my anger. I have been holding it in a very long time.

AphoticAtramentous

I wouldn't say you're being harsh, personally. I think it's a very good thing you stopped another source of troubles for you.
I've recently done the same, unfriending people on FB so I wouldn't see so much toxicity on the home page. It's helped me quite a bit and I hope you will feel the same as well. ^^

barbidoll

I had unfriended a few people in the past but I had left my brother on I guess thinking I could ignore it. My daughter actually had unfriended him awhile back, thank god I got something right there in raising a strong women,  but I don't know what I felt. Is it obligation? I don't know.   It bothers me though because I think it is something I do. Explain people's atrocious behavior with my knowledge of mental health and then that makes it okay for them to be a part of my life. I just have to tell myself they were hurt too as a kid so I should feel sorry for them. Sorry just recently realized I do that.
I know I shouldn't feel bad for taking care of me but it's there.  I have a lot of work to do.  :stars:

Sceal

I don't think you're harsh in the least!
I made a new facebook account to get away from manipulative, toxic and abusive people,  So I added all the friends and family I want to have contact with on my new one. But eventhough I'm friends with good people there I still unfollowed everyone. (But that's mostly so I avoid scrolling, scrolling, scrolling on FB rather than doing things that are much better and productive for me).
I am friends with my niece on FB, eventhough I haven't seen her in maybe 8 years. I will never befriend my brother unless he change.
So, if you're harsh... then I am alot harsher :D Don't feel guilty about it, dear. It's just facebook. Protect yourself as much as you can and unfollow or unfriend him.