Joy of Coding

Started by Quiet, October 03, 2017, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiet

I started this thread for hank, but I feel like there are more of us.  Writing code is one of my pleasures in life.  When I focus, everything else goes away, and I can get things done!  It's an art, and we should celebrate it!  Please share your programming achievements, issues, and thoughts.

I'll start off by saying that I've been asked to create a very simple website for someone.  Looking forward to it, even though it will not take much time.  :)

Three Roses

hank

A good place to express my challenges and joys of overcoming them with my coding. Also to read of others who love this creative activity. SO much in the world now is governed by software it is the new school of engineering. I find it interesting as it is a global activity, often, with teams crossing borders. It is international. In my case, it is a solo activity, but that is ok as I receive a lot of satisfaction getting software designed, architected and running.

My current challenge is getting my ASN1 models working with my protocol header classes. It is broke now, but not for long. At least in code we can repair the damage! If only that that were true of our minds. Perhaps it is. In code the solution is to build test cases and then change the code until the test passes. Is there some sort of corollary with our psych damage, perhaps? Build test cases.

Quiet

Quote from: hank on October 03, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
In code the solution is to build test cases and then change the code until the test passes. Is there some sort of corollary with our psych damage, perhaps? Build test cases.

The thought of making test cases for my psyche made me laugh.  I can almost imagine what that would look like.  Now all of a sudden freezing turned into a buggy robot that powers down when a glitch is encountered.  Is that a healthier way of looking at it, or is it dissociative?  Or is it both?

Anyway, thank you so much for the laugh.  :))

caseyjobs

I love coding!!!  I started off in middle school, taught myself BASIC, then progressed from there.  Now I'm into any and all languages, my most recent discovery and love being Clojure.   After being in the Object Oriented world for such a long time, discovering LISP blew my mind...especially considering it's one of the oldest computer languages.   It just makes sense to me.

hank

Quote from: caseyjobs on October 03, 2017, 07:34:59 PM
I love coding!!!

Welcome. Yes, myself as well. I love coding. It is something in my life I have some control over. I guess that makes a control structure freak! ;)

Quote from: caseyjobs on October 03, 2017, 07:34:59 PM
After being in the Object Oriented world for such a long time, discovering LISP blew my mind...especially considering it's one of the oldest computer languages.   It just makes sense to me.

I have not done Clojure. Have you seen Squeak? Smalltalk being the original OO language circa 1980 and a sibling of LISP from earlier that decade. http://squeak.org  It is a deep well of development. Unfortunately I am doing Java ATM>

hank

Quote from: Quiet on October 03, 2017, 07:20:37 PM
Quote from: hank on October 03, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
In code the solution is to build test cases and then change the code until the test passes. Is there some sort of corollary with our psych damage, perhaps? Build test cases.

The thought of making test cases for my psyche made me laugh.  I can almost imagine what that would look like.  Now all of a sudden freezing turned into a buggy robot that powers down when a glitch is encountered.  Is that a healthier way of looking at it, or is it dissociative?  Or is it both?

Freezing is certainly a response I have that seems automatic. Another and most prominent is that my positive view of myself and the world gets blown away whenever I start to bewail my life condition. I guess the most prominent aspect of descent into negativity is when I compare my reality to my expectation. The solution for me comes with temporary acceptance through faith that this is where God wants me. Then I start being positive for a time....  until I start groaning my expectations are not met, again, then I collapse into the negative well again.

Ok, so taking my whimsical idea that you responded to mroe seriously, what is the test case here? It must do with an improper test case....vis a vis I have assertions in my test case that read : "is my love life what I expected?" FAIL!!!   SO I need to change the test case to "am I feeling love in my life" Passes.

Quiet

Good test case!  Maybe we should approach all our lives by finding better test cases.  :bigwink:

hank

Quote from: Quiet on October 04, 2017, 02:26:05 AM
Good test case!  Maybe we should approach all our lives by finding better test cases.  :bigwink:

Have you realized how close the Eye of Horus looks like the Sanskrit symbol for OM?  Test case...

hank

I just got Java working with the ReplyInfo message but it required a change to the ASN1 model. Here is an update to the spec: http://jmp.sh/xrEVzgp. I updated squeak to match.