Stoning Demons Web Site

Started by Kizzie, September 03, 2014, 02:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

The following is an excerpt from an interesting site called Stoning Demons (http://stoningdemons.wordpress.com/ ) by writer Kimberly Callis who suffers from CPTSD:

Journal excerpt: Coming to terms with my condition...

May 23, 2014 - I wrote this as I was learning more about Complex PTSD and coming to accept my illness.  This short journal entry helped me focus on my recovery with a sense of balance.  I didn't expect it to be easy, but I did expect to get somewhere... Looking back, I see that I have accomplished most of the objectives I had.  I'm still growing and still getting my life back on track, but I have made some progress.

I have an illness. I am dealing with it and it will take time.

My illness has caused some changes in my life.

Recovery is not only possible... it will significantly improve my way of living.

I deserve the time, space and resources to recover.

I am responsible for seeing that I receive the right treatment and care.

Recovery will be emotional. I am responsible for my emotions and will be respectful of others and myself during my recovery process.

My recovery will shape my understanding of myself, of life and of others as I moved forward.

My recovery will require me to focus on my physical health as well.

I will not stop. Sometimes I may need a break, but I will not stop getting better.

I will make it through this and create a life of my own design.

globetrotter

That is an excellent affirmation, I need to stick that to the front of my refrigerator as a daily reminder.

Kizzie

I wish I could claim it was my writing BeHealthy but it is by Kimberly Callis who suffers from CPTSD and has a site called "Stoning Demons"  at  http://stoningdemons.wordpress.com/.

The last line really resonates with me as well - we really all are trying to make a "life of our own design" by coming here, and by going to therapy and practicing self-help. And as she suggests we may stumble along the way and need to take a break, but then we begin to move forward again not quite knowing where we'll end up - that takes courage in the face of a lot of fear so "Well done us!" Group hug time  :hug:

globetrotter

I especially like this line:
"My recovery will shape my understanding of myself, of life and of others as I moved forward."
Often I don't give myself credit that "awareness" is part of recovery, even though it doesn't immediately mean change and doing things differently.