Inability to Focus

Started by azgirl, October 09, 2017, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azgirl

I am a year into trauma recovery work, including EMDR.  A few months ago I got to where I can no longer concentrate -- on anything.  I've quit reading because I no longer can focus long enough to comprehend what I am reading.  This is really frustrating, as I have never had any struggle with ability to focus. I can't get through a 5-minute meditation.  I get distracted by thoughts constantly.  Anyone else experience this sudden loss of focus during trauma recovery?

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: azgirl on October 09, 2017, 07:11:38 PM
I am a year into trauma recovery work, including EMDR.  A few months ago I got to where I can no longer concentrate -- on anything.  I've quit reading because I no longer can focus long enough to comprehend what I am reading.  This is really frustrating, as I have never had any struggle with ability to focus. I can't get through a 5-minute meditation.  I get distracted by thoughts constantly.  Anyone else experience this sudden loss of focus during trauma recovery?
I get this but I'm not going through any real therapeutic trauma recovery at the moment. It can be super frustrating though, I sympathise with you so much. Reading feels like such a huge task now. :S

Dee

I totally identify.  I can no longer finish a book or even a movie.  I can't even go to the movies because at some point I am just wishing it was over so I can leave.

woodsgnome

I've had this a lot, more like forever. It fits the pattern of a "freeze" type as described in Pete Walker's CPTSD book. We tend towards ADD. In the aftermath of growing up in an abusive environment, I wanted to desperately rush out and find answers to all of this madness.d

Because I do read lots, those who know me (alas, not many) figure I'm able to concentrate, but it's not what they think. My reading (mostly non-fiction) is almost always search for those non-existent answers, reaching for perfection and wanting to find the point quickly and be done. Then I wander off to find another read--no wonder my house is crammed with books, yet I strive to find more...it's a vicious cycle.

But I'm learning to be easy on myself, too. It's not wrong to be that way, either. No good/bad, and I know (per reading Walker) a lot more about the why than previously.

So, rule #1, be easy on yourself.

JamesG

yup...

brain fog. typical I'm afraid. It goes I am told.

blackaltis07

I totally get it. Schoolwork this semester is totally lost on me due to this.

Piou

I get this too, though I'm not doing any trauma work atm. It seems to get worse aroung my periods too. 

BlancaLap

I can totally relate. When I was young, I only had struggle to concentrate in school, but I could in my house. Now I can concentrate more in the university, but it feels almost impossible in my house.