C-PTSD Therapists in Michigan?

Started by skenne63, October 19, 2017, 02:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skenne63

Hello and Good Morning to everyone on the forum. I'm Scott and have suffered from cptsd as long as I can remember and didn't know this until I came across Pete Walker's books. Before I go on, I have read through many of the personal stories posted here and honestly know many of the pains each one lives with and to everyone on the forum, you took your first steps to a better life by being here and I encourage each of you to keep making healthy connections. I was the scapegoat in my family from the start. My father was a narcissistic state cop, he was heroic on the job, a governor's bodyguard, saved an infant's life on the highway, but he also was a real monster when no one was looking. My brother was 10 yrs older and I was unplanned, I happened as I was told and so it went for my me, right down the list of conditions for complex-ptsd, its like I'm a poster child for the disorder.... What gives me hope is what Pete Walker wrote, it's not permanent, these are learned behaviors that can be unlearned. To this end, I would like to ask the forum if anyone knows of a therapist in Michigan that understands and specializes in Complex-PTSD. I have been through several years of behavioral therapy, diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and ptsd but this didn't really help with everyday life, I'm still at its mercy, as strong as my will is I still crash and burn often and suicide is ever present in thoughts, not that I would act on the thoughts but damn if they are not strong thoughts all the same. Right now I'm self employed, can't go back to my 25 yr career as an IT professional out of fear. last interview was 5 yrs ago, had a melt down right in the middle of the interview which was just days after my father's funeral, haven't tried for a job since, just the thought of an interview puts me in a panic. To finish my post, back to my question, Does anyone know of a good therapist in Michigan? I appreciate everyone's time and hope each of you finds peace every day. Thank You, Scott

Kizzie

Hi Skenne and and a warm welcome to OOTS  :heythere:    Before I go any further I just want to check that you are okay with using your first name along with identifying where you live?  If you want to protect your privacy a bit more you can always go into the "Actions: button" and change your name to your forum name.  It's not a big deal for some people but we like to check.  :)

So sorry to hear you are struggling with CPTSD, you've come to the right place as there are so many of us in the same boat. If you don't hear back from anyone here about a therapist in your area you might consider contacting The Sidran Institute which is dedicated to to helping people who have been traumatized find resources, T's, etc.  There are also some searchable databases here if you want to look on your own - http://www.outofthestorm.website/treatment/.

Good luck and again, welcome to our community  :hug: