I'm really glad to have found a place to relate

Started by Ola, October 23, 2017, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ola

Hello. I just discovered this forum tonight and I am so glad I did. I have read so much from you all that I can relate to, and that is not a feeling I have really had before. I have only recently been diagnosed and what an interesting feeling to read about C-PTSD! I finally have some language to describe my experience and some tools to learn how to use. The big thing I am finding interesting is that others here are sharing similar experiences to my own around work. I have a really hard time staying positive about jobs, I end up getting really frustrated with people and my reactions to stress makes me appear really unstable. I am really fortunate in that I have recently been able to take a break. My wonderful husband has supported me in taking a couple months off work to allow some space for me to try to figure out a better fit. I have come to the conclusion that working from home might be the best, as it would allow me to minimize my contact with other people, but I am trained as a teacher and I have yet to find a remote job that I am qualified for / interested in. I'm starting to get scared of having to just get any job as we are running out of money. I have never been able to have a break before, as I have been working and supporting myself since I was 13. The comfort of feeling so supported by my husband and the calm I have felt from not having to work has allowed me to feel safe and in turn has brought up a lot of vulnerability that I guess I did not feel able to explore before. I don't want to return to the stress. I am so enjoying this healing time! Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to create a healthier relationship to work? Thank you to everyone here for sharing, I appreciate your stories.

Dee

Welcome!  I am glad that you found us!

I don't know what kind of teacher you are, but have you considered teaching online.  They not only have college courses but also kids can now attend school online for their entire time.  Where I live online high school is very popular and my son's school required they take at lest two online courses to graduate.  I know they offer online education for children that are homeschooled as well.

sanmagic7

welcome, ola, so very glad you found us.

happy to hear that you were able to take some time off and are starting your recovery.  looking forward to hearing more from you - when you're ready. 

Ola

Thank you for your replies. Dee, thanks for your online teaching suggestion, I've definitely been considering that, maybe I should just give it a go :)

Blueberry

Hi  :heythere: and welcome on here

Quote from: Ola on October 23, 2017, 10:14:10 AM
I am really fortunate in that I have recently been able to take a break. My wonderful husband has supported me in taking a couple months off work to allow some space for me to try to figure out a better fit. I have come to the conclusion that working from home might be the best, as it would allow me to minimize my contact with other people, but I am trained as a teacher and I have yet to find a remote job that I am qualified for / interested in. I'm starting to get scared of having to just get any job as we are running out of money. ..The comfort of feeling so supported by my husband and the calm I have felt from not having to work has allowed me to feel safe and in turn has brought up a lot of vulnerability that I guess I did not feel able to explore before. I don't want to return to the stress. I am so enjoying this healing time! Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to create a healthier relationship to work?

Some of that is familiar to me. I haven't been working since the age of 13, because I've always had trouble getting work, even summer holiday jobs as a student. After I'd worked a few years post-graduate, I fell apart bit by bit, emotionally I mean, and eventually got so sick I couldn't work. It was good having so much time to work on myself but the bad news is: I've never been able to get back into the 'normal' working world.

OTOH I have done work not remotely related to my profession and have learnt by trial and error how to do work somewhat related, including one-on-one teaching. The vulnerability in myself and my own issues with memory and, ahem, slow-learning that have all come up since I've been healing from CPTSD have made me a patient, creative teacher, capable of working with learning-disabled children, so long as it's one-on-one. Money's tight, but it's better than nothing and I feel I have a use in society too.

It wouldn't be my thing, but depending on what you teach, and maybe in what country, there is some demand for teaching/coaching by phone.

Good luck.