CPTSD/Adult Survivors of Abuse groups in the Pacific North West?

Started by C., January 14, 2015, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.

Does anyone know of any groups in the Pacific North West?  I've decided I'm willing to travel, but the closest I've seen online is Northern California, a bit too far.  Anything from Eugene/Corvallis/Salem/Portland, Oregon up to Seattle, Washington could work for me.

C.

A little more behind my question and response to wingnut on another thread about group process: 

I've attended groups of various types (mostly life skills, developing spiritual qualities and academic) as a participant, co-facilitato and facilitator.  I went to an ARMS group which is more on this topic (I wrote more about the content below).  I have liked listening to others ideas in a group setting.  I have found it useful.  It's a different type of support.  More in-person validation, a hug.  I am more cautious about what to share in such groups. It's an opportunity to practice social support.  We can share, listen and work through EFB in a safe setting with others who understand.  There is a dialog of ideas.  I believe that discussing in group can bring us closer to truth since no single individual could possibly hold all of the answers.  It also can help us develop realtional attachments and bonds with other people.  Sometimes there is a person(s) in the group to form a friendship outside of the group time.    Walker's book on CPTSD mentions that some of his current close friends were in a recovery group with him.

Online isn't physically social.  We are all of us alone in another location, often alone.  Our thoughts and ideas support one another.  But, it's not the same.  I feel like online is between alone and social.  I understand that online might be as much as some people choose to utilize for "committee" work.

Personally I do not have a single friend or family member at the moment with whom I can process these concepts.  I've attempted a little and been shut down.  I know that I started the friendships with my current circle of people in an unhealthy way.  I met them before I understood so I mostly "fawn" or have been verbally/emotionally abused or neglected by these people through them judging or being critical of me in order to "help," wanting me to get along with my FOO since my parents are so "nice," or I give, give, give my time, listening, transporting, etc...not reciprocal.

The  group that I know about in my area and mentioned above is curriculum based and called ARMS "Abuse Recovery Ministry & Services."  .  It is a Nationwide curriculum used in both English and Spanish.  I am not Christian and am very secure/content with my Faith, but I believe in a higher power and like things that have a spiritual foundation.  It's ok with me that they use biblical quotes, stories and principles in moderation.  I understand that's me.  It may or may not work for others.  It's free, they don't proselytize and respect that people attend from different Faiths.

Your question encouraged me to get out my folder from the group and, although there is a lot about domestic abuse, I noticed that it really does touch on the FOO topic.  Perhaps I wasn't ready when I first attended.  I really like the healing principles that they describe.  I re-read some of the handouts and they are very empowering.  They never let the "perpetrator" off the hook while at the same time empowering the participants to move forward.  They address spirtual abuse and how people use church, religion, and the bible to abuse or control and that this is not ok.  Perhaps I will try again now and let folks know how it goes.

I know what you mean about therapist lead groups.  I haven't liked those so much.  It would need to be a very skilled facilitator and often it feels to me like the therapist doesn't have the personal compassion or tries to hard to control the group.  On top of that they want me to pay them, ugh!

I think I've just always viewed groups as one of the helpful tools for healing, potentially part of our "committee."  And I know that I have a tendency to enjoy being social and around other people.  I think this tendency was damaged and temporarily destroyed early on by unhealthy relating and attachments with FOO

wingnut

Hi, C - thanks for replying.

I can see where there is value in a group. Right now, I go to spotty therapy, which means an hour here and there, and am reading books. I'd like to add some more fiber to my recovery diet. The committee thing is real and a good stretch for lingering SA issues. I think I will poke around a bit more about local resources.

Good luck on your search.

C.

And good luck on your resource search.  If you'd like, let me know what you find out  :thumbup: