Ugggg Emotional Eating?

Started by plantsandworms, October 11, 2017, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantsandworms

Hey all, I'm wondering who else here struggles with emotional eating? Whenever I am overwhelmed/depressed (which is often) sometimes the only thing I have to look forward to is what comfort food I'm going to eat that night while parked in front of my Netflix account watching re-runs. I start to think about it partway through every day like clockwork, and I've been this way since childhood (a time when there really wasn't much in life to look forward to at all). Does anyone have advice for how to redirect those feelings? To have something else to look forward to? I'm embarrassed even writing this, because I do have a lot of rewarding things in my life but they just don't hold a candle. In the past when I've tried to rewire myself I've gone in the complete opposite direction of disordered eating. I just want to... not be constantly thinking about food, whether that's in anticipation or guilt or what have you. Thoughts/commiseration appreciated!

ToreyP

I've never been an emotional eater until about two years ago when I had my nervous breakdown and started taking a new antidepressant which stimulated my appetite in a monstrous way.  I gained about 10 kgs.  I'm struggling with this recently, too, even more so than normal.  I've found that distracting myself by immersing myself in my drawing/music helps take my mind off the cravings - but I really find the hardest days are those when I'm too down to draw or compose. 

Blueberry

I've struggled with it since childhood, though wasn't overweight then. If you look around the forum, you'll find a number of threads on the topic.
Some form of distraction can help me, but yes, sometimes eating is the only thing I look forward to. It's so crazy because there are other things in life that I enjoy. It can help me to concentrate on other senses. Seeing colours, smelling scents, listening to music and even being aware of physical sensation in my body.
Sometimes a distraction is not really much better I find. I'm replacing one addictive behaviour with another. I suppose it depends what the distraction is.

I often engage in eating or other addictive behaviour because I'm not doing what I really want to do, which I'm often not doing due to fear and anxiety.