Cptsd is a loose term

Started by Rainagain, November 21, 2017, 12:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

Been thinking about my experience of cptsd and reading a lot on here.

Initially I felt I didn't connect with those who developed cptsd in childhood as their experiences seemed much worse than mine.

I had training, experience and maturity to help me deal with my situation.

Then I saw the similarities and felt connection.

Now I see the subtle differences more as I understand more.

I think that the causes are diverse but the symptoms are very similar.

If people read this who are ex military, ex emergency services or have experienced trauma as an adult and who did not develop cptsd due to abuse from family then can I say that the symptoms are what unifies everyone on here, not the specific causes.

We all have much more in common with each other than with our ex colleagues or other survivors who did not develop cptsd, Even if they directly shared our experiences.

I am an outcast from my old job, colleagues, even country but they can't understand me as I am now anyway, the people on here clearly do.

AphoticAtramentous

Well said Rainagain. :) That's how I feel about it all pretty much as well. It's not the causes but the symptoms that unify us. Just a mutual understanding of the pain and the fear that lets us speak and cope.

Rainagain

Thank you both for your replies.

I think I gain a lot of insight into myself from reading about the experiences of others on here.

I worry that visitors here might not see the ways in which they are the same as the people who post.

Initially I thought my history was different so the site wasn't for me, but the cause of cptsd isn't what matters, its the resulting issues we all face.

I see posts where someone posts once then leaves as they don't recognise themselves on here.

Makes me sad that people are too shut down by their experiences to see this site could help them.

Its as if they need someone with their exact history to rescue them and have no trust in people with different histories.

That mistrust is actually part of their cptsd, such a shame.

BlancaLap

Rainagain

Thank you so much blancalap.

For so very long I was shut down and wouldn't have been able to get anything from this site.

I feel sorry for the people who are in the place I was in.

They post once then go off without realising what they have dismissed due to their cptsd.

ah

Me too.
Reading what you wrote just now got me thinking of another post, where there was a discussion of how posting here can be triggering in itself, really scary. I know I had to overcome that initial resistance to stick around... I had to trust that an EF doesn't necessarily mean I'm making a mistake. But pain is so familiar to us, we're used to listening to it.

Rainagain

Ah,

That is thoughtful, perhaps new arrivals are looking for something that exactly matches their experience in order to validate them enough to make a first few posts?

I was so confused on arrival here that my first posts were about the structure of the site, by the time I sort of understood I was invested in the replies I had already received.

I also had a cptsd diagnosis so I was confident I would fit in somewhere, I just didn't get it at first.

I wonder if a mini intro would help in each of the adult categories as they are a bit under used?

I'm going to put one where I think I fit in, let me know if its worth having?

Three Roses

Really good input. Def something to think about. :grouphug:

Kizzie

My plan was/is to expand/refine the Dev of CPTSD in Adulthood forum and sub-forums,  but I haven't done much yet as  I am not as versed in adulthood CPTSD and wanted to see what would come up.  I hoped to shape the forum according to what members were posting about.   However, it has been a little slow so I have been doing some research into causes. You'll see I have added in some categories and related articles and books in that respect.   Any other suggestions from those of you who dev CPTSD in adulthood about the forum/sub-forums would be very welcome though so plse post or PM.   :yes:

Rainagain

Thank you kizzie,

I wasn't criticising you or the site, hope you knew that, I'm just thinking aloud I guess.

I went to post something on workplace harassment only to find I already have.

Oops! My memory is hopeless.

Kizzie

Not to worry, I did not read your post as criticism at all.   :no:    I just wanted to let you and others know I am beginning to work on this section more and that I welcome suggestions.   :yes:

I will be away from the forum for about two weeks starting Dec 4th as I have surgery coming up so this forum may go dormant on my side of things for a bit.  However, I will get back to it once I'm up and around again. 

Rainagain

I'm glad I didn't offend you kizzie,

I hope the surgery goes well, you take care of yourself.

Kizzie