Venlafaxine experiences?

Started by Rainagain, October 24, 2017, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

Hi
I've been on this med for 3 weeks and the side effects are quite an issue for me.
Anyone had positive results? I could do with hearing about them right now as it is getting me down.

Cheers

sanmagic7

i was on it for several years.  at first it worked well for me in ridding me of my depression.  after awhile, tho, i, too, had disturbing side effects, especially with not being able to trust my legs.  i read up on it, read about side effects, and what it took to get off it.  from all accounts, it can be nasty to wean off of.   it took me about 4 months to be able to get off it without any harm.

have you talked to your shrink about this?   i think that would be a first good move.  it may be that your system doesn't tolerate it well.  especially of concern to me is that you haven't been on it that long and the side effects are already problematic.   i've had that issue with other anti-depressants, where it didn't take long to know they weren't helping me.

unfortunately, finding the right anti-depressant is often experimental in nature.  what works for one may be totally not ok for another.  this sounds like it needs to go back to the professionals, have them help you with what's going on.  you should be getting relief, not problems.   best to you, and a big hug.

Rainagain

Thanks for the reply sanmagic.

I've had some minor side effects from other meds in the past which wore off as I got used to the meds.

This stuff is different, seems quite toxic

Will get professional advice, thanks again.

Rainagain

Well
Didn't get advice but the side effects are settling down a bit now so I'm OK with it.
No effect on my symptoms, if anything I feel a bit worse but maybe that will come right eventually.

sanmagic7

good luck with it.  i hope either it eventually helps or that you find something that does.  big hug.

Rainagain

Rainagain

Interesting!
Had some poor news today, normally I would be in a right state, last time I froze up for about a day and was really distressed.

Today I am aware of it not being good but it hasn't knocked me over really.

I'm wondering if the venlafaxine is doing good stuff to me.

Side effects mostly gone too, result!

On day 14 of venfelaxine and am starting to see the change slowly. Side effects not too bad but get anxious in the mornings still. How you doing a few months down the the line?

Rainagain

Hi newbie,

I'm not sure if the pills are making much difference really, had a rough few days though.

Previously I've felt other meds weren't working, stopped them and got really badly anxious so I will carry on with venlafaxine even if I can't tell if its helping.

The main side effect left is lack of sex drive and failure to perform. Not good!

Rainagain

Just thought I'd end my posting about venlafaxine.

Saw psych yesterday and explained I had gotten off his meds since I saw him last November.

He was interested to know how I did it as its one of the 3 hardest meds to come off, he didn't mention that when he put me on it.

I told him the med had made me impotent which was not good, he replied it does that in 50% of cases.

He didn't mention that when he put me on venlafaxine......
Nice.

I declined his kind offer of other meds, could be a problem as another psych advised I should be medicated for 5 years after symptoms cease, and my symptoms are if anything getting worse.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm just too stubborn to take poisons, I'd rather take my chances without.