Today I am grateful .... (Part 3)

Started by Kizzie, October 25, 2017, 05:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowdrop

Quote from: Blueberry on March 14, 2020, 09:25:28 PM
Today as more and more shuts down in my country for the next few weeks, I am grateful to not be in a country at war. Things are just shutting down here - schools, museums, libraries, gatherings, conferences.... But there are no bombs dropping or any dangers of that sort. I can still go down into the garden to stand for a few minutes in the sun. If I didn't have tonsillitis, I still could wander around town or go for a cycle in the country-side.

I found this tremendously helpful. Thank you, Blueberry. :hug:

Blueberry

You are very welcome, Snowdrop  :hug:

Today I am grateful for this forum and grateful to have been a mbr so long. However things turn out in the next weeks? months? I'm sure the existence of this forum will be even more help than normal.  :grouphug:

Bach

Today I am grateful that I live with an awesome person who loves me and has work he is able to do from home, so I am not here alone with this all day and at least for now don't have to worry about money.  I've been grateful for that EVERY day since this happened, it's one of the few things standing between me and complete madness.

Bermuda

Today I am grateful for, in haiku format...

Food prepared quickly
Once forgotten refound tea
Dishes done for me

Not Alone

woodsgnome

Today I'm grateful for having rediscovered this thread ... it's easy to get caught up and forget some of the good stuff.

My best current gratefulness vibe originates from this forum, actually. A voracious reader, I recall several people here having mentioned an old novel titled The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, as having been meaningful both when they first read it, and again when revisiting it later.

Well, I didn't have the first childhood encounter with it, and I read mostly non-fiction anyway. But I couldn't resist taking a look -- and I was blown away. It spoke directly to my experience and how I came to interpret life based on early abandonment, rejection, and loneliness.

Then delving into the storyline of The Secret Garden what I found at first to be somewhat intriguing grew into seeing between the lines via the main girl and eventually the boy whom the tale centers around. Like any story, some might not find this sort of tale relevant; I had some hesitation wandering into it myself, but it grew on my heart once I shook off my resistance.

The eventual outcome -- rediscovering the long-lost garden itself, but deftly celebrating the human effect this had on the characters lives -- well, suffice to say it spoke volumes to my current needs.

In a way, I live in a secret garden of my own making, but I've forgotten that aspect over the years. Now I'm reminded of it, thanks to the suggestions to check this out by other OOTS forum people Thank you.

There've been some film productions that are based on the book. The best one is a 1975 BBC series (7 30-minute episodes) which follows the book closer than later versions do.

Very grateful I found this, and especially to those on this forum who pointed it out.  :hug:

Blueberry

As one of those who recommended The Secret Garden thanks for commenting on your reading of the book and what it means to you! :hug: I'm grateful for your information that the 1975 BBC series is the one that follows the book most closely; in addition to knowing that, your pointing it out might propel me to try and watch it somehow on my computer,  something I've been interested in doing for years. My childhood copy of the book even has a pic of the film, possibly even the series you mention, on the back cover. Other than that, I often have trouble thinking up reasons to be grateful; I'm better off on the Three Good Things Today threads.

woodsgnome

Blueberry,

All the episodes can be found on youtube.com
To get to the first installment, go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACHkRRzNow

Hope that works for you. Thanks again. I'm still running those scenes over and over in my head and keeping the hope and magic they found.

Blueberry

Thank you woodsgnome!  :) 

Today I felt grateful when I realised the town / bus planners had moved a bus stop to just beside an intersection instead of a 3 minute walk away. That meant I was able to go straight where I was going instead of doing a detour and since I was carrying a pet transporter on the way to the vet's, it really made a difference  :) :)

Bermuda

Today I am grateful for being busy, and I am grateful for having a busy week coming up.

Business is often chaos, and today went smoothly, hectic, but smooth. I am grateful for that. That's how I prefer things.

I am grateful for the small changes I see in the world, like vegan creme fraiche and dill crisps at the supermarket made out of lentils and produced locally with renewable energy. Ten years ago, wow, the changes I've seen!

Busy and hopeful.

Blueberry

Today I feel grateful for the people I know locally, for the generosity I was shown today by two of them.

Firstly the farm people brought me a whole small bale of hay for my Little Furries. I hadn't even known they had small bales, I'd only ever seen the big ones, which are way too big for my apartment. A small bale will keep my pets going for a few months at least, on good, healthy, organic hay. Delivered right into my apartment too. One of the farmers carried it over from their market stall.

Then I finally dropped by on a friend of the farm people who has some early plums left to pick. He gave me a whole lot, more than I'd expected, and showed me round his garden again especially the fruit trees and said and really meant "Don't buy fruit this year, there's tons here, more than I or anybody else in my circle of friends can eat." I am so grateful. Fruit is generally expensive, even more expensive than normal this year for Covid-related reasons, and of course his garden fruit is as organic as it comes, which is important to me (when I can afford it).

Blueberry

I'm grateful that I have a roof over my head and that I have heating when I need it.
I'm grateful that the sun shone yesterday.

Bermuda

Today I am a bit under the weather. I am grateful that I attempted to study, even if I can't focus. Just sitting in a quiet library has been beneficial to me. I needed the quiet alone time.

I am grateful for how far I have come. Just the fact that I can go to a library is huge. The first time I came here I felt like a demon entering a church, like I would burst into flames and everyone would know that I don't belong here.

I am grateful that I can recognise that I am not feeling well, that I am not coping well, and also that it's understandable.

Blueberry

I am grateful that my parents have money and that I do get some of it. It hasn't been easy and all that. There's all the gas-lighting etc. But I am grateful that I receive money and don't live in total poverty.
I am grateful that I can afford things that do make life easier.

Blueberry

I'm grateful I live in an area of the world where the weather and climate don't yet go into these huge dangerous extremes.

I'm grateful I can go back to teaching one person for a regular supply of healthy food rather than for money because the latter involves admin work, invoicing etc and the latter is too early for me. No can do yet.

I'm grateful that the farm is always a place where I can start up work again and that whatever I do has a use and is appreciated.