EMDR and dissociation

Started by wingnut, January 11, 2015, 03:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingnut

I have read the other threads about EMDR and am curious if anyone has used it specifically for dissociation?

I have a big speed bump in therapy where when it's time to delve into feelings a switch is thrown and I numb out. Its the biggest issue I have to confront right now as I can't cry or grow as long as I hit this wall.

I went to a new T on Friday for a "second opinion" to get a different voice than my usual T.
We discussed my history in therapy and to be brief she basically said that more talk therapy probably
wouldn't help me and recommended an EMDR therapist (and told me to let her know if I'd like to come back and keep working with her - uh what???)

Anyway I thought EMDR was for resolving specific memories but she said no it can be used for issues. Now I may try it so I can move forward with my regular trauma therapist(not accepting talk t wont help...I thought that was a bold statement after a 40 min chat). I'm curious about memories too as I seem to be memoried out.

Kizzie

I wonder about EMDR for CPTSD too Wingnut. CPTSD involves a lot of trauma, some of it relating to specific incidences and for that EMDR would likely be useful. But then there's the accumulation of smaller, daily instances of abuse/neglect - the 'death by a thousand cuts' warehouse of trauma that we don't have a visual recollection of, but instead experience an overwhelming melange of feelings.

I wonder how an EMDR T would help a client avoid opening the floodgates and being overwhelmed? Maybe it's by separating that melange of feelings out into "issues" (e.g., distrust, fear of abandonment) as she suggests, but I wonder one does that?  Did she point you toward any readings?   

FWIW, it might be worth hearing what the EMDR T has to say about using the technique with CPTSD.

wingnut

I had that same question, Kizzie, about how yes, you may be able to use EMDR on this specific bad memory or that one, but what about the big heaping bucket? A question for the EMDR T for sure.

I did a bit of poking around this weekend and found the following:
http://www.emdryorkshire.org/resource/Plagaro-Neill-Dissociation-Reversal-Sheffield.pdf
http://www.advancededucationalproductions.com/publications-articles/treatingCPSD.htm
http://emdr-web.org/complex-ptsd-cptsd-and-dissociation/

I will probably give it a go to supplement what I'm already doing with my current therapist. Why not? Another attempt at pushing the cart forward.

tba

HI,
I'm new here and was directed here from the boards on OOTF. I just wanted to offer my thoughts and experience with EMDR. Making a long story very short, after years of emotional and spiritual abuse  by my xPD, my DD had a sudden break for emotional wellness. It started with SI, then deep depression, cutting, anxiety, several suicide attempts, hospitalizations.  We/she had been in therapy from the age of 9 (I was wanted help for her dealing with the divorce), and through out, the depression started at 13. She applied herself as much as possible to each of the therapies offered, CBT, DBT, talk, group, group for children in dysfunctional family relations, partial day school. Nothing was working to a point I felt she was "safe". two of her T suggested EMDR, it sort of freaked me out letting some one into my DD mind. Then through a support group I was going to- NAMI a few parents said it had worked for their adopted children who had suffered years of abuse. I did my research on Ts that had practiced and were certified for years. She started EMDR at 16, it has been a little over a year, and the best TOOLS and RESULTS she has had. Her anxiety basically kept her home bound and unable to be left alone. She couldn't go in stores, library, long car rides or be away from our house for more than a few hours while at therapeutic school. From what she tells me they go over triggers and find where they originated then work on the difference between then and now. How she can get through the flashbacks, nightmares (this is the least successful area, but better!), most panic attacks. And what she can't she doesn't beat her self up over anymore. She has not cut since almost the begining of EMDR, dpression is about 80% better, SI and attemps have ended.
Just thought I'd share. As a mom I am extremely grateful for the results.

Kizzie

Thanks for sharing this TBA, I'm so glad to hear that it worked and worked so well for your DD!  You must be so relieved.

I was recently working on the book section for the site and saw a number of books for EMDR therapists about treating CPTSD specifically so it sounds like it may be evolving. I hope that like you others will post about their experiences here so that we can get a better understanding of this treatment in relation to CPTSD.

Tks again and I hope your DD continues to recover :hug: