New symptom worries

Started by Rainagain, November 08, 2017, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainagain

Just had a heads up from my girlfriend.

Apparently I regularly become unresponsive as though I don't see the world around me. I am unaware of my surroundings and don't hear her when she talks to me.

She showed me a video of myself, I look to be in deep thought with rapid blinking and some change to facial expression but a fixed gaze looking into space.

These episodes can last 30 minutes or more, I don't respond when spoken to and just stare into space.

Then I just snap out of it and carry on normally with no memory of the episode.

Only found out about this today but I've been like it as long as she has known me apparently.

Bit shocking as it is something new to worry about, apparently the episodes are lasting longer recently.

Sounds a bit like petit mal to me, anyone had this? Might not be cptsd related at all.

Resca

That must be a huge shock, Rain, especially given how long it's apparently been going on without your knowledge.

I don't know a ton about dissociation, but my understanding is that most people with C-PTSD do have some knowledge of time-passed or lost, even if they feel somewhat distanced from the experience or otherwise fuzzy. The mind goes somewhere else, not just offline totally, at least not on a regular and extended basis. Again, not a doctor or even that well researched, but this is based on other posts I've read and the Walker book. That said, the mind is a funny thing.

Now that you have a video of the "incident(s)," it might be a good idea to head to the doctor. Just to be safe.

Keep us updated if you're comfortable, and take care of yourself :hug: Best of luck to you.

Rainagain

Thanks for the reply,
I don't think its epilepsy as apparently it only happens when I'm sitting quietly rather than when I'm doing things.
My guess is its some kind of freeze response, the hind brain taking control.
I've seen it with people in a rage but this isn't quite the same.

Rainagain

Think I've found what it is.

Quiescent immobility.

Apparently its a known thing, its the recovery phase of a predator attack in small animals.

If the animal freezes and somehow survives there is a period of quiescent immobility while it recovers enough to carry on doing things.

In people it can be maladaptive, happening randomly or inappropriately.

There are other types of immobility but this quiescent one fits my response perfectly.

Having a name for it helps.

snailspace

Hi Rainagain, sorry to hear about your new symptoms but good to hear that you think you have found a name for it.
I gather Peter Levine has written about this subject but others may be able to fill you in a bit more.
Good luck.

Rainagain

Thanks for your responses,

I've probably done too much online self diagnosis today :(

It could be lots of things, some of them sound alarming.

Seeing my psych in a few days so will offload it onto him and try not to frighten myself further.

My girlfriend is so matter of fact about my symptoms its wonderful, if anyone has seen the TV series 'prison break' you will understand why she has started to call me haywire......laughter is the only medicine that doesn't make me constipated.

Rainagain

Hmmm,
Its not quiescent immobility as there is loss of time involved, no recollection of the episode.

Its not petit mal as that lasts for up to 30 seconds and I am 'gone' for up to 40 minutes.

I think it could be pretty serious like a fragmented personality.

Anyone had anything like this?

Anyone had a diagnosis of ptsd- dissociation disorder not otherwise specified? Might fit that category.

My main thought is ' well, that is just great' like I need another issue to get to grips with.

Oh well.

Rainagain

Hey ho
My newly discovered absences were discussed with psychiatrist today.

Could be narcolepsy, I need ct scan and EEG to try to find out if its a physical brain problem like a tumour or trauma induced.

My Money is on trauma......

He thinks epilepsy type of thing I think, at least he believed me, the video helped with that.

Resca

I'm glad you were able to see someone, Rain, and that your doctor is taking is seriously. All the tests are probably a pain but I really hope that, whatever they find, they can also offer help. Keep us posted? And stay safe.

Rainagain

I've managed to realise when I'm sliding into one of these episodes and pull myself back to awareness before sliding all the way.

It felt like I was falling asleep, my eye blinks increased and I felt sort of drowsy.

Not epilepsy if I can control it.

Psych said to go to A+E if they get more frequent, feels odd to do that as they aren't unpleasant and I don't remember them afterward so not really much of an issue in my mind.