Dr. Bessel van der Kolk on NPR (The Body Keeps the Score)

Started by alovelycreature, January 14, 2015, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alovelycreature

Here's the interview: https://hereandnow.wbur.org/2015/01/12/treating-trauma-yoga

Apparently yoga is a very successful treatment for PTSD! I did yoga for 5 years then stopped. Now regretting that decision.

And here's a website with TONS of free yoga videos at all levels, lengths, etc.

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

Dutch Uncle

Today I saw a video of a lecture by Bessel van der Kolk titled The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma.

Very interesting, and in way very calming: there is a lot of interesting research presented, and in it it is explained how trauma affects cognitive functions as well as the loss of "Self" (which for simplicity sake I would call "dissociation", though that may be a totally wrong assumption/connection I'm making).

Dutch Uncle

On YouTube there is an audio-book available of Bessel van der Kolk's The Body Keeps the Score, & part two.

For me, audiobooks work very well, as I can keep myself occupied by doing chores which makes it easier for me to concentrate on the content. With reading my mind tends to wander off.

It's a long read talk (two times 8 hours), and they apparently had to change voice-actors along the way, which is a bit strange at first.

A very worth while book, which might be slightly triggering as he mentions a couple of cases from his practice as a psychiatrist/researcher with combat veterans, victims of domestic violence and childhood (sexual) abuse, yet it is told in such a compassionate manner a true trigger warning doesn't do the man justice.

I have had tears in my eyes a few times listening to this, but they were tears of recognition and feeling validated/heard. Tears of healing, I would say.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi :)
I've just discovered this book and came to post about it and glad to see a post already ... I've just ordered it and have only flicked through a copy but already it has filled me with hope..
I've been feeling hopeless lately and it's been tough -- back on meds which are definitely saving me though I feel sluggish ...
I've waking up to just how damaged I am and it's v painful ...
Still there is always hope :)
Re the neuro stuff in seeing how I'm affected re capacity -- I think when I was in addictions I kidded myself I was more functioning than I was ....
Retaining information and being able to think broadly are areas I'm seeing as a problem ... Does any one relate ?

Saule

My therapist recommended van der Kolk's book to me and I finished it a few months ago. It was a great read. It's got me quite interested in trying neurofeedback at some point, and I've also started trauma-sensitive yoga classes. I've always struggled to stay committed to yoga, but these trauma-sensitive classes have been amazing and I haven't missed one yet.

Danaus plexippus

I listened to the book. Part one is fascinating. Part two turns into an infomercial for neuro-feedback. Some members have written about their experiences with neuro-feedback. If it's for real, it could be evolutional.