Humour around cptsd

Started by Rainagain, November 11, 2017, 08:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Alone

Quote from: saylor on February 22, 2020, 04:21:58 AMA short while after I lay down, I heard that my partner came home. He must have started looking for me straightaway, didn't see me in the usual spots, probably noticed the closet door was closed, and immediately figured out where I was. He opened the door, said a quick "hi", asked me some question or other, then softly closed the door upon hearing my answer and went away without further comment. He never missed a beat. I realized then that he must be so used to my general crazy that nothing about me can even faze him anymore, and I found his utter nonchalance to be quite funny
I find his reaction to be BEAUTIFUL! BTW, I'm jealous that you have space in the bottom of a closet to lie down! I have to resort to my bathroom floor.

saylor

Quote from: notalone on February 23, 2020, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: saylor on February 22, 2020, 04:21:58 AMA short while after I lay down, I heard that my partner came home. He must have started looking for me straightaway, didn't see me in the usual spots, probably noticed the closet door was closed, and immediately figured out where I was. He opened the door, said a quick "hi", asked me some question or other, then softly closed the door upon hearing my answer and went away without further comment. He never missed a beat. I realized then that he must be so used to my general crazy that nothing about me can even faze him anymore, and I found his utter nonchalance to be quite funny
I find his reaction to be BEAUTIFUL! BTW, I'm jealous that you have space in the bottom of a closet to lie down! I have to resort to my bathroom floor.
That was in the old house. New one doesn't accommodate, unfortunately...

Yes, his reaction warmed the cockles of my heart (in addition to affording me a private chuckle), as do his responses to all my other bizarre and unpleasant CPTSD behaviors. I feel blessed

Kizzie

A tent fort might be just the ticket on those days when a quiet, dark 'burrow'  would help.

Bermuda

I have spells of sleep walking, not so much now, and walking is an understatement... I would jump up while asleep, scramble for my clothes saying things at apparently 10x normal human speed and run for the nearest exit... Whenever my husband would try to wake me or convince me I'm asleep I would try to fight him to escape. So we joked one day about introducing a safe word so that I would know it's a dream. A couple years lately, things got a lot better, and he told me it's because he came up with a safe word that makes me look about perplexed and he had been using it that whole time. Needless to say I'll never look at Raspberry Doughnuts the same again, and whenever I am panicking I know that there are no raspberry doughnuts in the room.

Pioneer

Bermuda, that is so sweet (sorry for the bad pun  ;D)! I'm glad your husband found a word that was safe for you - that shows love and persistence and healing right there.

It will be a confusing day if one of you actually wants some real raspberry donuts and buys them and brings them home  ;)

Kizzie

So glad to hear things have gotten better Bermuda!   :thumbup: 

I have one about my oh so easily triggered startle reaction. When my H first came home from the stroke rehab centre Nov 27 I could hear him coming because he was using a wheelchair and a cane and was on our main floor which is all hardwood. 

Now he is able to do stairs to our upper level and everything is carpeted so it feels like he is  in 'stealth mode' again and seemingly just appears out of nowhere. Absolutely wonderful that he is making progress but oh my poor heart.  :aaauuugh: 

I'm thinking of tying a bell on the railings top and bottom and asking him to give them a jingle when he heads up or down so I know he's coming.  ;D

mojay

I've just seen this board and feel like I've found a great corner for myself!! I have both a very dark sense of humor or an extremely gentle sense of humor (think: animals doing a funny). Thank you for creating this space, I'm looking forward to reading through all the funny CPTSD happenings and adding my own :heythere:

One funny instance I remember is from my stay at an inpatient psych ward. It just so happened that all the patients were there for worsening MDD & SI. During group I had remarked on rarely seeing anyone up and about and that the atmosphere was so much less chaotic compared to my previous stay. Without missing a beat another patient said, "well yeah, we all have depression." Needless to say we all cracked up.

mojay

Quote from: Kizzie on January 06, 2021, 06:39:08 PM
Now he is able to do stairs to our upper level and everything is carpeted so it feels like he is  in 'stealth mode' again and seemingly just appears out of nowhere. Absolutely wonderful that he is making progress but oh my poor heart.  :aaauuugh: 

I'm thinking of tying a bell on the railings top and bottom and asking him to give them a jingle when he heads up or down so I know he's coming.  ;D
"stealth mode" is always a hilarious way to describe something! I like your idea of the bell jingle. It is really wonderful that he's making progress  :cheer:

Bermuda

Quote from: Kizzie on January 06, 2021, 06:39:08 PM

I suggest a cat collar, they come in so many cute styles. They even have electronic ones that can be used to open doors!

;D Just kidding, of course.

Kizzie

:thumbup:   Now there's an image that will stick in my head lol.  :bigwink: