Court postponed, my imagination has run away with the why

Started by Dee, November 12, 2017, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

This morning I decided to look up the trial against my stalker to make sure everything was on track.  I usually look it up once a week.  This morning I read that a continuance was filed early last week (by defense) and was approved late last week.  My first thought was another month of dread.  I can't do this for another month. 

My next thought was why?  What could possibly be going on that the defense attorney doesn't feel he is ready yet?  I have felt that this is super black and white.  The restraining order was already upheld in court.  The trail is over the violations.  He violated it, I called the police, he was violating it when they responded (3 times).  Is he trying to bill more hours to my stalker?

Then I started to run away with it.  Could they be researching me?  Am I going to get to court and my father's conviction is going to come up?  Can that even happen, can it be brought up?  The guy is almost the same age as my dad was.  Will I be accused of associating him with my past?  Is my mental health going to be called into question?  Or, will it just be about the events surrounding the violations?

The waiting really is hard.  I was hoping this would be over and put to rest by the end of this week.  Now I have another month before the trial. 

Three Roses

Ugh, that sounds absolutely disheartening. It's impossible to say what's going on in their heads.

Everything I try to type here, I delete because it all sounds so trite and cliche. My heart goes out to you, I just know I'd feel pretty manipulated by the whole thing. Hugs to you!

Kizzie

And the trauma continues - so sorry to hear this Dee.   :hug: 

I don't know anything at all about court processes, but is there anyone you could ask about why a continuance was requested? It seems a reasonable request as it informs you who are central to this whole matter.  It may be something innocuous like a scheduling issue for the defense attorney.

On a side note I find it 'interesting' that it's up to you to track the court date. I would have thought what with the Internet it would be a simple (and decent) thing for those involved to be sent an email advising them of the change.

Kat

Sorry to hear that it just keeps going, Dee.  You deserve a huge break and to be done with all of this anxiety- and fear-producing torture.  I'm so sorry.  Hang in there. 

Sceal

Oh my, Dee. This sounds like a horrible situation to be stuck in.
I don't really know what to say, but I'm thinking of you. And I hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later, and in your favour.

Big hug.

Dee

I suspect I will get something in the mail.  Most everything comes by mail, but I can look it up quicker.  I am not sure if I will get a new subpoena because of the new date.

I thought of calling the prosecutor.  I worry about coming across as needy and making a big deal of such a small case.  Also, I feel like the prosecutor's attention should go to bigger things.

Sceal

It's not a small case for you.
I'd say call the prosecutor, it's his job to answer your questions in this part of the process, isn't it? Asking for an explanation of a case that is putting such a huge impact on your daily life isn't being needy or making a bigger deal out of it.

sanmagic7

i agree with sceal, dee.  you have a right to know, and this is definitely not a small case.

i'm just so sorry that this is continuing for you - it's just a bunch of b.s. in my mind.  it may even be a ploy to continue to make this harder and harder for you to keep going with it, and you'll get so frustrated that you'll drop it, which is what they'd want.  i hope you can stay strong, dear dee.  we're standing with you, will be with you every step of the way. 

i also think it sucks that this keeps getting put on you to keep track, like kizzie said.  hang tough - we're hangin' right beside you.  sending a hug full of strength, courage, and determination - and, lots of love.

Blueberry

Rainagain

This sounds really dreadful dee.

If it helps I think it won't be about you, the restraining order was granted so that previous decision to grant it isn't up for debate. They can't challenge the restraining order now just because its been broken repeatedly. It was in place, the end.

Its probably something procedural.

I know how you feel, my solicitor emailed today talking about giving the defence up to 6 months more time and I went a bit mad.

I like vanilla

Wow! That sounds very stressful!

If it helps, maybe the lawyer had some non-case-related reason? I am no lawyer so do not know what reasons people can use to ask for a delay. But, I think 'maybe he won a trip  and has to go at a particular time? Maybe his partner is due to have a baby at the same time? Maybe one of his other cases got delayed and now he needs to bump this one? Maybe he is not feeling well and needs time to recover?'

Dee

There are a lot of possibilities.  It isn't as I want to go to court, but I do want it done.  I did get a phone call on Monday to inform me of the continuance.  I just hope they are not requesting a different judge. 

Rainagain, that does help.  It is my hope, so it helps a lot.  I suppose my greatest fear now is that my dad's case will somehow be brought up.  I don't think it can, but I am always afraid.  I also hope the police are there.  They have been so supportive it would be nice if they were subpoenaed as well.  Not for them, but it is a friendly face for me.

sanmagic7

dee, is it possible to get in touch with those officers and find out if any of them would be there, or if they have any ideas about what's going on?  they have been such wonderful allies for you.  maybe one of them could help shed some light on what's going on.

just a thought, sweetie.  best to you.  big hug.