tell it like it is

Started by JamesG, November 15, 2017, 08:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesG

yesterday, I had a proper meltdown and decided that rather than suffer in silence with my team, I'd tell it like it is.

So, I made it pretty clear how ill I was. Maybe it helps that the book we are working on is about the brain, has a spread specifically on PTSD, but I didn't hold back this time and I chose to ignore the condesention and doubt and just BLOW. That did the trick. Talk about alarm. Suddenly everyone can act like they give a damn for a bit and we can get this book off the desk.

Of course, the folklore will be that I'm an emotional nutcase, but I don't really care. I am done with being the dustbin for other people's inflexibilty and lack of consideration. If I have to display my PTSD, I will. If someone chooses to use it negatively then they are merely demonstrating that they are not worth my time of interest.

I am ill. I am ill in a run over by a car kind of ill, bitten by a cobra ill. There is and was, no choice in this. It happened TO me, and the injury is in the brain, invisible to people who chose not to look. We all have this issue that we would get more sympathy if we twisted our ankle or got food poisoning from bad clams.

So be it. I am not apologising for my condition anymore, and neither am I hiding it. I live with this legacy every day. If I have to live with it then I am not going to spare anyone the details. The people who get that will be my people, those that don't can take a dip in the north atlantic.

Rainagain

Fair play to you James.

I admire your pluck and resolve, owning our problems in a defiant way seems right.

Once I get these pesky bitey cobras back in the basket I hope to follow suit

JamesG

aye, I'm pretty angry right now, it's enough to have been put there by these numpties, it's another to then have the resulting brain damage written off as my "character" . I have been calling out the unhealthy reality of our work for over a decade and have been soundly ignored. Well, not now. Enough already.

Three Roses

Love it! Love, love, love when one of us bites back. Maybe you'll get some of them thinking about your perspective for a change.