Former COP ~ C-PTSD

Started by WillBatt77, May 05, 2017, 01:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillBatt77

New here... I am a Former Law-Enforcement Officer of 15years. Ive been un-fortunate enough to be directly involved,  in many, many Traumatic Experiences- involving Death, Suicide, Mutilations, Torture,  Sexual Assault to Children, Traumatic Death to Children, Self-Defense of my life involving me taking anothers life, Defense of others life involving me taking anothers life, Etc, etc...

Please only comment, if you yourself or someone you know very well, can relate to this.

I have recently seeked help, & am getting started in treatment.

Just want to reach out to soneone WHO CAN ACTUALLY RELATE.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome. First of all let me thank you for all you've done and the sacrifices you've made for the sake of others. Civilians (I'm including myself) just can't fathom the horror you face and the danger you willingly run to, you and your brothers and sisters in blue. I feel humbled and honored whenever I see a policeman.

I have been in many of the situations you've listed, mostly as the "victim" (I hate that word). I think you listed 4 that I've not been party to, and some that you didn't list.

I am 60 and now realize that most of my life I've been affected by trauma and violence. The first violent event I remember was when I was 5. I have hazy memories of other abusive things before then but those memories are not clear.

I haven't really talked about the details of anything here. Not ready to, I guess. I entered therapy for the first time last year; altho I've seen several counselors, they only had the useless advice to just move forward or some such nonsense that only helped me stay stuck in denial.

PTSD and CPTSD differ. I hope you have a therapist who is at least trauma-informed. The good news is that CPTSD is an injury, not a disease. We can recover. We can heal. There is much current research showing the plasticity of the brain and its ability to regenerate. Many types of therapies are available.

I'll end my reply here but I may come back to this thread. Thanks for joining us!

sinthia820

I too have a career where I see and have experienced the same things as you, from a different angle. While I do have CPTSD. (developed as a child) I do not have PTSD due to work. I do understand that help for those in that type of service is little to non existent, a lot of effort is put into war time PTSD but for you, and many others in the public service fields your war last years without any safe place. When soldiers come home the war zone is somewhere else. Yours is in your own back yard.

I guess I should correct my statement my CPTSD and the symptoms and effects it's had on me has made the trauma I experience at work different.

Just know that as it was when you were working you didn't work alone and you are not alone now. I hope your journey to healing is effective. Find support where ever you can.