Intense Procrastination

Started by FallenSeraph, November 16, 2017, 11:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallenSeraph

So recently I've been struggling to get by in school, and I can't tell if it's a CPTSD thing or an ADHD thing or what, or more importantly, how to deal with it. (Also, this is my first time making a non-intro post, so if this isn't in quite the right spot apologies in advance)

For some time now (like since early October), I've had very little to no motivation to go to class or do any of my assignments. Not to say I was particularly thrilled about it before that time (I actually didn't hate it; I did think the material was cool and I was finally taking classes that I was interested in. But still. School.), but I always went to class, and did all of my work on time, until after a little over a month in to the semester I started falling behind in my work and not feeling able to get up and go to class. A week or two after that started, I started feeling better and tried my best to catch up and went to class some times, but it seemed like I was only just finally managing to get a little bit caught up when I ran out of energy again and started the cycle all over.

Now I seem to be in this awful pattern where I know I have an assignment due but I just can't seem to do it. I stay up horrifically late trying to get myself to just do it, because it's due the next day, but I never do it, and I can't figure out why. For the past several days I've been going to sleep around 7/8 AM and waking up just in time to make it to whatever class I have, which usually starts around 12/1 PM. The worst part is knowing I have enough time to get it done, but still not doing it. I sit around doing absolutely nothing except thinking about how I have to do the thing, and then don't do it. Today I took a test that I couldn't bring myself to really study for on material that I hadn't been to any of the classes for (I had notes for every day I missed, but didn't really take the time to teach myself.) Tomorrow I have to have sources compiled, but haven't even taken out the directions. Friday I have the "final draft" due for a paper I haven't even started writing, and a work event that I still need to gather sources/supplies for. I can't seem to do any of it, even when it's stuff that isn't that difficult or is supposed to be interesting. I just sit here. I'm supposed to be hopefully getting ADHD meds soon so I'm hoping that will help but idk. I don't know what to do.

sanmagic7

may i suggest, firstly, take a deep breath, then another, then another.  sit and relax.  gather yourself.  ask yourself what it is that you truly want to do in the next half hour (small steps), what it is you have the motivation and energy for, then do it.  whatever it might be, just do that.

if it's to take a nap, take one.  if it's to study for x amount of time, do that.  if it's to get ready to go to your next class, do that.  do that just for today, see what happens.  just one foot in front of the other.  take those deep breaths and re-gather yourself in between each thing.  just today.

sometimes we get so overwhelmed by all the stimulation/expectations around us that we find ourselves paralyzed into doing none of them.  be patient with yourself.  this sounds like a temporary setback, since you were pretty much up to speed before.

did anything happen just before this 'procrastination' began?  there may be a trigger that you didn't realize would set this type of behavior into being.   if there was, maybe you can deal with it or tuck it into it's own compartment for when you have time to look at it more closely.

in the meantime, seraph, know that you are ok, you're doing fine, it's temporary, and things will come right again.  just breathe and be with yourself.  you are a lovely being, hardworking and intelligent.  none of that has gone away - it may just have gotten waylaid from your consciousness for a minute.

sending a hug filled with encouragement, and the ability to slow yourself back down.  i have no doubt you can do this.

PeTe

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a bad place. Feeling unable to do things can easily make you feel helpless and hopeless. As deadlines close, pressure usually builds up. I've been procrastinating a lot lately, but am finally able to do more things. You say you don't know what to do, so I take it you want advice.

I think that writing the post is breaking out of procrastination, and you should take the time to give yourself a thumbs up for that. My experience is that accepting there's a reason why I procrastinate makes things easier. For one I understand it better, and second I don't blame myself so much for doing nothing. Also, listening to music helps me to do stuff.

For writing, I've got a tip that you can try if you like. Sit down with pen and paper, and write the first you come to think of for 5 minutes. This can release some stress, and then you've already started writing. After the five minutes, just continue writing. And remember, even if it's final, it's still just a draft. If you get a letter from your doctor, can you postpone handing in the paper? Could you tell that you're not able to bring sources and supplies to the work event?

Going to bed and getting up at the same time every day would help you, and I suggest that you go to bed when you usually would.

Hope you'll soon feel less stressed and that you're able to do more things, again!

BlancaLap

I'm sorry you have that experiences, but I think it is a perfect time to make an introspection a know more about yourself. "When we reach our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change" (sorry, I love avatar hahahahaha). If you think may help, talk to someone about how you're feeling. If you think it will not help, don't do it. Whatever you do,I wish you good luck!